TN: Domaine Bart Fixin 2005

Chasse-Spleen

TN: Domaine Bart Fixin 2005

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Domaine Bart Fixin 2005

I tried this wine about a year ago after purchasing a few bottles. At the time it was good, but there was a slight medicinal note that said, "see you later." Well, tonight a year later, the wine has entered a more ready phase. Dark ruby purple color, almost opaque, not really looking that hard, I must admit. But what a nose! A beautiful nose of black cherries and earth. Very seductive. On the palate, the wine is quite round, although there are still plenty of tannins. Black cherries seem to be the dominating fruit flavor. Medium bodied but chunky and very drinkable. Excellent finish but you don't exactly sit around timing it before you take another sip, if you know what I mean. Great balance. We had this wine with broiled salmon and it was perfect. Extremely satisfying. Just round, dark flavors, great texture, beautiful nose - I wish I could go back and buy more. Can't say enough about this wine. I think it was my first Fixin, which I had always wanted to try. Well, in a great vintage, with even an unsung but obviously better than competent producer, Fixin can bring the goods. It's the northernmost appellation of the Cotes de Nuits, I believe.
-Chris
JimHow

Re: TN: Domaine Bart Fixin 2005

Post by JimHow »

I've really enjoyed the 2005 Mongeard-Mugneret Fixin, Chris, which I've had a few times. It is consistent with your notes above, including the early medicinal quality rounding out to the seductive black cherries and earth profile.
Chasse-Spleen

Re: TN: Domaine Bart Fixin 2005

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

That's interesting, Jim. I guess Fixin is one of those appellations to look for bargains in Burgundy. Jadot makes a Fixin and it's pretty easy to find, but in the past several vintages, the WA has criticized it sharply, so I didn't try it. Maybe that was a mistake. I want to add also that this wine had more body and chewiness than is necessary for salmon. I think it would have stood up to a heavier dish, even a steak, quite well. Have you tried any Burgs with pork chops? The combo can be heavenly, although pork chops can be deceptively hard to get just right. At least for me...