TN: 2008 Louis Jadot Pommard (France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pommard)

JimHow

TN: 2008 Louis Jadot Pommard (France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pommard)

Post by JimHow »

• 2008 Louis Jadot Pommard - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pommard (10/26/2010)
    No drama here. Seems like a typical Pommard. The aromatics were strong from beginning to end. You don't have to worry about things like too much oak, or over-extraction, or high alcohol, etc. I actually squinted after the first sip of this wine and it remained tannic, rugged, and tart throughout, but it seems to have all the usual components in place. Tart cherries, raspberries, and earth. A solid "A" grade on the nose. Hard to assess early on, but nothing in evidence that suggests disappointment. It just needs time. (89 pts.)
William P

Re: TN: 2008 Louis Jadot Pommard (France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pommard)

Post by William P »

" tannic, rugged, and tart throughout"

Ahh, that's Pommard.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Drinking two year old Pommard must be like going for a swim in a freezing lake
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah, I'm just starting to get some feeling back in my jaw the next morning.... :shock:
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Does anyone know the differences if any between these four Jadot Pommards?

Jadot Pommard 08
Jadot Pommard Clos De La Commaraine 08
Jadot Pommard Gr Epenots 08
Jadot Pommard Les Rugiens 08
William P

Post by William P »

The commune of Pommard lies on a slope descending from Beaune, to the north, to Volnay, to the south. Of Pommard's 832 acres of vineyards, 309 are ranked premier cru over 24 climats. These all lie directly above and below the village of Pommard, situated in mid-slope, and produce only red wines. There are no grands crus. Average annual production is 10,402 hectolitres (115,560 cases).

Pommard is a very old village, and stands on the site of an early Christian temple, built by the Gauls and dedicated to Pomona, the goddess entrusted with the protection of fruits. By the year 1005, the village name had become "Polmarium" or "Polmarca," and underwent several subsequent changes in name before becoming "Pommard." During the Middle Ages, Pommard grew to be an important way-station for travellers passing between Beaune and Chagny, providing the only crossing point for miles along the Serein River before construction of the first bridge in 1670. This slender ford was marked by a cross, called the "Croix de Pommard", which was little help to travellers frequently washed away by the often violent river. The fact that Pommard is perhaps the most widely-known place-name in Burgundy is, curiously, due to the Huguenots. Banished after the Edict of Nantes, they chose to take with them this sturdy, long-lived wine, which they continued to import to each of their adopted countries.

The Les Epenots vineyard consists of two principal parcels, Les Petits Epenots and Les Grands Epenots, which are in turn comprised of four contiguous plots running down the hillside just south of Beaune. Epenots is by far the largest of Pommard's premiers crus, covering 75.5 acres, and is also considered, with Les Rugiens, to be one of the two finest. It takes its name from a "pinède", or pine forest, long ago replaced by vines. Less rustic than most of Pommard's premiers crus, it is also earlier to mature. Maison Louis Jadot vinifies the production of growers primarily situated in the superior Petits-Epenots to yield a full, comparatively round and supple wine with the rich, plum-like fruit and structural dimension characteristic of the growth

The Les Rugiens vineyards, divided between the two parcels of Les Rugiens-Hauts and Les Rugiens-Bas, is situated at the summit of Pommard's slope, just south of the village, and covers 31 acres. The name "Rugiens", a derivative of "rouge," describes the reddish color of the soil, a result of its extremely high iron content. It is considered, with Les Epenots, to be Pommard's finest and most lasting premier cru. Maison Louis Jadot vinifies the production of growers, primarily from the finer Rugiens-Bas, to evoke the robust, masculine qualities of this great red wine. Its vigorous, rich fruit, set in a powerfully built structure, is completed by the distinct earthy notes of its ferrous soils and a lasting, finish.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks Bill that explains some things for me. Based on my experience with the basic Pommard I'm going to buy some of these others.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Thanks for the notes, BD. Pommard and Volnay have long been my favorite places to pick up solid red Burgs for less than $$$$$ prices.

If you pick up any Rugiens or Epenots, Jim, you need to just ignore them 'til at least age ten, or be ready to wonder why you spent the money. As open as young Volnay can be -- which makes it a real "go-to" on restaurant wine lists -- young wines from its neighbor Pommard are usually pretty stern.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

ok that's good to know. NH got their shipments of Jadots this week, they have all kinds of goodies, with names like Le Musigny, Bonne Mares, Grand Echezeaux, Cos Vougeot, etc., thanks to a tip from Gerry W that they were coming. I picked up a case of 2008 Jadot Clos des Ursules for $35 per bottle yesterday.
RDD

Post by RDD »

Good price. I paid that for the 1990.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

All this talk of wine is making me thirsty.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think the prices of 2008 French wines are going to be generally on the reasonable side.