"Classic" Cali Cab Tasting

Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Classic defined as from the 1996 vintage or older, before the power of the dark side reigned supreme with the over ripe, over oaked 1997s. I didn't take very close notes, these are more of impressions. Overall, very nice wines, but it seemed clear that most Cali Cabs don't age like Bordeaux, as not a single wine had taken on much in the way of complexity and nuance that mature clarets always seem to develop.

Ridge Mendocino Cabernet 1979
Really funky nose, which blew off to reveal a wine well past its prime.  C

Burgess Cabernet 1984
Decent, sweet, slightly madeirized. Drinkable and utterly resolved, but not very complex despite it's maturity.  B-

Montelena Estate Cabernet 1981
The class shines through here. This must be one of the earliest Monty cabs, no? Again, not very complex for its age, but it has the best density of the oldies and a classy style.  B+/A-

Mondavi Reserve Cabernet 1992
A big step up here. Not quite as tannic as the 1993 Reserve we had in the Spring, this puppy is more generous. Great depth, classic flavors of cassis and leather. No obvious oak. Great now, it will hold but I doubt it will improve much more. Most had this as their WOTN.  A 

Staglin Cabernet 1992
This is nearly as good as the Mondavi and it came out of the blocks faster. A little lighter style, a little spicier, a little more acidic. Imagine a Cabernet with 15% Sangiovese blended in. Great layers of fruit but very classy with nothing but balance. This came in a close 2nd place for the group.  A-/A

Laurel Glen Sonoma Mtn. Cabernet 1995
This was probably the most tannic wine. Pretty subdued, nice flavors of cassis and a bit more herby than the others.  Young, but perhaps a little lean to hold up to the structure?  B

Freemark Abbey Bosche Cabernet 1995
This came across as a little too sweet and flabby after the others. It was a served too warm, so perhaps that contributed to it's apparently simple presentation. Didn't impress thus night.  B/B-

Neyers Cabernet 1995
This was the biggest wine of the night, and borderline too rich, but it still held together better than the Bosche. Fairly oaky too, I liked this wine but it lacked the elegance and appeal of the others. B
Harry C.

Re: "Classic" Cali Cab Tasting

Post by Harry C. »

Nice tasting. I have always found the 1992s approachable (as have others) and because of this some pundits marked them down as a whole because "they couldn't age". Well, my experience and yours argues the contrary. Just try the Beringer PR 1992.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Overall the 92' vintage was one of my favorites for CA. It wasn't over-hyped so the prices have always been reasonable and the profile of the wines was overall been very balanced with great depth. I think they've aged very well. Some of my favorite 92's have been Insignia, Freemark Abbey Bosche, Beringer PR, Mondavi Rsv, Etude and La Jota Anniversary.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nice notes, Patrick. The '91, '92, and '94 Mondavi Reserves were all excellent wines from great vintages. I still have a couple bottles of the '91 and '94.