TN: 2002 Château Léoville Poyferré (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien)

Bacchus

Re: TN: 2002 Château Léoville Poyferré (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien)

Post by Bacchus »

JimHow, I don't know why you'd believe Michael Broadbent. For that matter, I don't know why you'd believe Robert P*rker, Jancis Robinson, Chris Kissak, the guy on Cellartracker who calls himself AlexH, or me for that matter :-) I think we're all just giving our impressions of the wines we drink. The difference between Broadbent and me is that he's a lot more experienced at Bordeaux than I am, and he gets paid for his columns (nice work if you can get it). But unless you think he's a complete charlatan -- I hope not -- he is one more experienced set of taste buds I feel I might be able to learn from. If he was duped by Hardys, it just shows that even old, experienced guys can get fooled. But I don't think that renders his opinions worthless -- I too have been fooled (way too many times). But I also don't think his word is the end-all-and-be-all, just as I don't think P*rker has all the answers. Nonetheless, I like to read what these guys have to say. And sometimes they may even influence what I buy, at least at the level of, what's new and perhaps worth trying.

Funny you should mention the 2002 Palmer. I've been thinking of trying it out. Any thoughts on it?

Blanquito, I've tried some of my '04s. They're still young, but quite approachable. Like DavidG I quite like the vintage. Not as rich as '03, but not as flabby either (and I have found the '03s I've tried to be flabby and lacking in grip). They're nice on the nose and more austere than '03. And yes, there's a bit of green pepper on the back end, mixed in with a smokey gravely flinty flavour, but it is most certainly waning. I find them good with food.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I don't completely disagree with everything you say, Bacchus. I just think there is a lot of pretension in the world of wine "expertise," and I try to cut through it sometimes. You are right, nobody is "correct" when it comes to this stuff. Likewise, nobody is "wrong." Well, okay, there's James Suckling, but he's an exception. For myself, like Jacques said once, I try to identify people I know who have particular palates for particular wines and try to get a gauge on the wine accordingly. We have a lot of "experts" here whose opinions I value much more than Broadbent, Jancis, HWSRN, etc. Of course, in the end, there is no substitute for a person's own personal experiences. For me, it is 2002L that rocks my boat. What I get offended by is the type of arrogance I see in places like the Squires/Parker board and in some of the wine media.

I would not drink the Palmer right now, it needs a lot more time. It is a great Palmer, though. I have only one bottle left, I'll probably wait another decade or so.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

James who? :-)

You're right about the attitude issues in wine. It seems to be the perennial (image) issue. It's counter-productive, of course, because people get intimidated by it, which in worse case scenarios keeps them from getting involved with wine. Just the mention of wine is enough to make some people suspect you of snobbery -- "I just drink beer," is a typical Canadian response.

Mmmmmm; you recommend against drinking the '02 Palmer, but you only have one left!! Sounds like someone isn't taking their own advice (I said this in my best John Stewart falsetto :-) ) I don't have any -- at least not yet -- but they're available here, and they're the best priced vintage of what's on offer, followed by '98s and then '97s.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha yes unfortunately my obsessive compulsive disorder tends to get the better of me with some of this stuff. Actually, in the case of the 2002 Palmer I had only two bottles, drank one, and am holding the other. It's a beauty.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Patrick: I agree with you - wait at least 10 years for Bdx to start showing their complexity, even longer for the bigger wines. I've sampled just first bottles of my '04s on arrival. Couldn't resist, and since they were the last "affordable" vintage I had enough to open 1 ITNOS. I bought mostly 1/2 cases of about a dozen Chateaux, except Angelus - a perennial favorite - of which I went for a full case. I think these wines have great potential. The rest are sleeping soundly, particularly the first growths, which will sit for another 10 years or more.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Bacchus wrote:I think we're all just giving our impressions of the wines we drink. The difference between Broadbent and me is that he's a lot more experienced at Bordeaux than I am, and he gets paid for his columns (nice work if you can get it). But unless you think he's a complete charlatan -- I hope not -- he is one more experienced set of taste buds I feel I might be able to learn from. If he was duped by Hardys, it just shows that even old, experienced guys can get fooled. But I don't think that renders his opinions worthless -- I too have been fooled (way too many times). But I also don't think his word is the end-all-and-be-all, just as I don't think P*rker has all the answers. Nonetheless, I like to read what these guys have to say. And sometimes they may even influence what I buy, at least at the level of, what's new and perhaps worth trying.
Well said. Just last month I waxed eloquent about the Pinot-y-ness of a...

... Pol Roger Blanc de Blancs Champagne.

I enjoy reading what everyone has to say.
JimHow wrote:I just think there is a lot of pretension in the world of wine "expertise," and I try to cut through it sometimes. You are right, nobody is "correct" when it comes to this stuff. Likewise, nobody is "wrong." Well, okay, there's James Suckling, but he's an exception. For myself, like Jacques said once, I try to identify people I know who have particular palates for particular wines and try to get a gauge on the wine accordingly. We have a lot of "experts" here whose opinions I value much more than Broadbent, Jancis, HWSRN, etc. Of course, in the end, there is no substitute for a person's own personal experiences.
As much as I may shadow Jim and give him grief as our fearless leader, I actually agree with his philosophy most of the time, including on this. Even if I like '04 more than '02. It's all personal preference and there is no "right" or "wrong." Unless you're a fan 'of '91 Right Bankers - the last truly bad vintage. Then I seriously question your judgment...
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Jim,

The '02 Alter Ego to is a beauty. Alter ego is phenomenal juice.