TNs: G. Mascarello '04 Barbera & Pernot '07 Bourgogne Bl.

Chasse-Spleen

TNs: G. Mascarello '04 Barbera & Pernot '07 Bourgogne Bl.

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

G. Mascarello '04 Barbera d'Alba
Color shows some maturity. Nose somewhat subdued but opened up to reveal dark cherries and some earthy, spicy notes. Typical Barbera nose. You could almost call them, "barbera-berries." Full bodied with the acid a little to the fore, but still balanced. Lovely black cherry fruit. Very smooth and sexy texture. Tannins are integrating. Delicious with sweet Italian sausages. Long, powerful finish. A fat wine with a great palate. Suave and seductive.

Pernot '07 Bourgogne Blanc
Now here we have a different story. I had hoped for more from this wine, as it's one of my favorite go-to wines. The price keeps going up, but unfortunately in '07, the quality has dropped off precipitously, almost certainly due to the vintage. Pale color, feint nose. Drinkable but thin and just not a lot going on. Shows a bit of the class of its terroir, but that's about it. Not a great indicator for '07 in Burgundy, at least for the whites. If you love white Burgs, my advice (and I know no one is following very closely ;0) is to grab whatever you can from '04, '05 and '06, which are all great. I hereby predict '07 will be miserable. We have been terribly spoiled for three solid years running. '07 is the antithesis of '06, I'm afraid. A very honest wine, however.

-Chasse
Comte Flaneur

Re: TNs: G. Mascarello '04 Barbera & Pernot '07 Bourgogne Bl.

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Shame about the Pernot Chris, the 06 is a beauty...will avoid...the Mascarello sounds the business...how much was it?
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

Chris,

While I did not taste the 07 Bourgogne Blanc from Pernot. I assure you, the straight Puligny, the Folatieres, Bienvenue, and Batard are the best I've had from them. I've been drinking and collecting Pernot since the 98 vintage.
Either the Bourgogne suffered from overproduction or it's suffering from "Travel Sickness". It sometimes takes as long as a couple of months for a wine to settle down after its' travel by ship accross the Atlantic. Just think of wines being put in a washing machine with a week of possible rolling and pitching across an ocean in late fall or winter.
The 07s I tasted with Pernots distributor Jeann-Marie De Champs last fall traveled with her by air and didn't suffer a five day wash and spin dry. Both Brian Mulaney (Zachys Manager) and Ned Benedict (Zachys Burgundy Buyer) were stunned by Pernots 07s when we tried them.
Wait a couple of months and try the 07 Puligny.

07 White Burgs are the real deal!
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Ian,
The Mascarello was around $26 and it's Giuseppe. But you knew that.

John,
I believe you. I hope the '07s are an all-around good to great vintage, as you say (I'm paraphrasing, I guess). It will be tough to beat the previous trio, however, or live up to them. What would you say the style is? What about Chablis? Have you tried any?

-Chris
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Just wanted to update - after a few days in the fridge, the Pernot Bourgogne Blanc has developed a bit more on the nose and better body with some of the trademark spicyness. Better finish, too. There is hope...