Do you have New Year resolutions?

Nicklasss

Do you have New Year resolutions?

Post by Nicklasss »

Like every New Year period, I try to give myself some resolutions, but rarely respect all of them... so I tend to think I'm loosing time doing that. But I can't start a New Year without resolutions, as it is a part that serve me to become a better man (I hope). And even if I rarely respect all of them, respecting just one or two make me believe I,m doing the right thing.

So, do you have New Year resolutions concerning wine (or other)?

Mine
For wine :
- respect my budget : in 2010, I did not respect my wine budget at all, spending 50 % to 70 % more than what I wanted...
- less visit to winestore : I'm thinking that going there less often, will limit my light compulsive habit.
- forget about critics : when buying a wine, buy it to discover and have surprises, like when I started buying/liking wine. Sometime, I feel like buying wine is like buying stocks, and it should not be. Of course, I will still consider BWEers recommnedations...
- Report : one bottle opened, one report on BWE. Have consideration for wine that I drink.

Others:
- drink more tea. Replace cheap bottle of wine, that we drink only 50% because of no interests, by tea.
- better life balance : since my second child, I work a lot at work and at home, do no sport. I need to rebalance everything as at the end of 2010, I really feel more exhausted than any year before.

Nic
AlexR

Re: Do you have New Year resolutions?

Post by AlexR »

Good resolutions, Nic.

My first wine resolution would be to buy only fine mid-term wines - not ones to drink within the next 2 or 3 years because I have so much of a backlog, and not ones to age for 20-30 years, because that's simply too long.
My second wine resolution would be to hold on to the (limited) bottles of first growths I have until my 60th birthday.
My third wine resolution is to get a better handle on Burgundy.

As for the rest, I will do my best to be healthy, wealthy, and wise... knowing that that resolve will only go so far :-).

All the best,
Alex R.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

1. Annual three-month wine fast.
2. Publish my novel.
3. Record my CD.
4. Get in marathon shape.
sdr

Post by sdr »

All good ideas, Nic, even if you are not 100% successful. I especially like the part about drinking excellent tea rather than mediocre wine.

Jim - did you say "marathon shape"? I strongly recommend the Galloway method (run-walk-run). It is especially useful for the over 50 crowd (age, not miles). I'm positive I could not finish either a full or a half any other way.

Stuart

27 days to go before ING Miami 2011
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the advice, Stuart, I'll check it out!

Going for my first whatcha-ma-call-it next week, colonoscopy or whatever it's called. The prep work doesn't look too fun.... :(
stefan

Post by stefan »

My resolutions are

1. Drink more wine.

2. Drink better wine.
sdr

Post by sdr »

Re: colonoscopy - all the preps are miserable but the most palatable one is the overpriced MoviPrep, which actually doesn't taste too bad (like lemonade).
You will not remember the actual procedure, thanks to the widespread use now of the anesthetic "propofol."
Just tell them no more than half the Michael Jackson dose is enough. Or hmmm . . . Was Jackson done in by something else? Is it manslaughter or murder?

Stuart
stefan

Post by stefan »

I have to fight like hell to get them to cut the amount on anesthesia they give me when I go for my colonoscopy and endoscopy. It is possible to have a colonoscopy with no anethestic--it is done that way in many countries; however, my daughter T, who has done that, said it is excruciatingly painful.

It is a close call between doing the prep for the colonoscopy and dying from cancer. I choose the prep mostly because Lucie says that hard as I am to live with, it is better than being alone.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Guy's

Don't get Jim all worked up. It's not that bad. Prep is the worst part but what's a little diarrhea for a day or two. Better to have a clean colon than miss a polyp or worse a cancer. The test itself really isn't bad with conscious sedation. You see what's going on but care and for the most part don't feel anything apart from the odd cramp when they try to get around corners. I'm a firm believer that screening colonoscopy or CT saves lives. Most colon cancers are preventable/curable if polyps/small cancers are picked up early. It's sad to see patients who were to scarred to be screened develop incurable metastatic cancer. Sad but mostly preventable.

Good luck,

Danny
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm sure it won't be bad, I just want to get it over with!
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Just back from mine today! Propofol was amazing compared to whatever they used on me 5 years ago.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

So should I add ''get a colonoscopy'' in my 2011 resolutions?

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I turn 40 in 2011-- time to get serious, guys!

My wine-related resolutions are as follows (forgive me, Stefan):
- drink down my cellar by 10% (it's too full, and lots of stuff is ready to drink).
- cap my entire 2011 wine budget at $1000 (excluding the rare bottle purchased off a wine list at dinner).
- drink less wine, setting aside at least 2-3 days/week without alcohol (this one might conflict with the first objective).

That second one will be hard, but so far I haven't bought any wine in 2011!

And turning 40, I'll soon be singing the benefits of Propofol I believe.

If any BWEers are going to be in the Colorado vicinity in early April, there are a few major, turning-40 blow-out wine parties being planned (at least one will be out on the town in Denver), so let me know if you want to be included. All 1971 vintages are welcome. In the queue already are the 1971 Ceretto Barbaresco Montifeco, a 1971 Climens, a 1971 Monsanto Il Poggio, and a few others.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Blanquito wrote:I turn 40 in 2011-- time to get serious, guys!

My wine-related resolutions are as follows (forgive me, Stefan):
- drink down my cellar by 10% (it's too full, and lots of stuff is ready to drink).
- cap my entire 2011 wine budget at $1000 (excluding the rare bottle purchased off a wine list at dinner).
- drink less wine, setting aside at least 2-3 days/week without alcohol (this one might conflict with the first objective).

That second one will be hard, but so far I haven't bought any wine in 2011!

And turning 40, I'll soon be singing the benefits of Propofol I believe.

If any BWEers are going to be in the Colorado vicinity in early April, there are a few major, turning-40 blow-out wine parties being planned (at least one will be out on the town in Denver), so let me know if you want to be included. All 1971 vintages are welcome. In the queue already are the 1971 Ceretto Barbaresco Montifeco, a 1971 Climens, a 1971 Monsanto Il Poggio, and a few others.
Sounds amazing Patrick.
Unfortunately my birth year of 1973 didn't turn up too many gems, unlike yours

When it comes to New YeaR'S RESOLUTIONS

Stop drinking - sod that
Stop smoking - sod that

Some more important new year's resolutions:

1) To lose height
2) To stop clubbing to death baby seals
3) To stop shooting Giant Pandas