In honor of CdP Harry, the 2005 Domaine Grand Veneur

Nicklasss

In honor of CdP Harry, the 2005 Domaine Grand Veneur

Post by Nicklasss »

Following the BD call to open a CdP for Harry, I did so last night.

I openend the 2005 Domaine Grand Veneur. It was the regular cuvée, and looking at some ratings on the Internet, I read that Parker gave it 93... So the color was intense red. Aromas of kirsh, rasberries, sage, smoke. really concentrated. In mouth, intense flavors of rasberries, herbs, black pepper, some more dark berries and a long final on black licorice, heavy smoke and some meat. Final is maybe a bit heavy. 15% alcohol. Stong ripe burn tannins. Coating. But like I think most of the time about CdP, nice intense complex wine, but no elegance on final. TN : 90. I expect this will age well. Finally not bad, but maybe I'm tired of low acidity wines, that seem less fresh to my palate.

Not so long ago, i opened also a 2005 Chateau des Jacques. Nice Beaujolais. Dark color, primary concentrated nose of earth, red berries, rasberries and light candy. Seems really concentrated Pinot at first, as the wine is closed. After 30 minutes, more Gamay aromas with light dark berries, raisins and sugar mineral. In mouth, good concentration, acidity, not overdone but missing some definition. Minerals on final. I think this should be really good in 5-7 years. TN : 88+. Promising.

Nic
JimHow

Re: In honor of CdP Harry, the 2005 Domaine Grand Veneur

Post by JimHow »

Well done, Nicolas Maltais. I was just watching a Robert Parker interview with Charlie Rose on YouTube from a few years ago, pretty interesting.
HarryKaris

Re: In honor of CdP Harry, the 2005 Domaine Grand Veneur

Post by HarryKaris »

Thanks for the note Nick. Trust me many CdP's will be better balanced after some age and gaining freshness. I trust this GV05 will as well although this regular cuvee is modern styled and sees some oak.