Bordeaux + SAQ = why I'm staying away from my favorite wine.

Nicklasss

Bordeaux + SAQ = why I'm staying away from my favorite wine.

Post by Nicklasss »

Some 2007 Bordeaux are arriving in Québec SAQ (Provincial wine and liquor stores), and again, I will have to boycott the Bordeaux wines. Here, the prices are kind of ridiculous for the vintage. The prices of the first 3 Crus Classés I've seen (don't forget, canadian dollar is equal to us dollar at the moment) :

2007 Chateau Kirwan = 59 $
2007 Chateau Malescot St-Exupéry = 65 $
2007 Chateau Haut-Bailly = 85 $

Let me laugh. Ridiculous.

Nic
JonoB

Re: Bordeaux + SAQ = why I'm staying away from my favorite wine.

Post by JonoB »

The release prices for 07 were too high, and with the growth of 08 prices, and 09 prices, and expected high prices for 10, I think a lot of merchants are sitting and not reducing prices in the hope that they will level out in the other vintages and people will see 07s as good value and pay the higher prices, and maybe even push the prices slightly.
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
Bacchus

Re: Bordeaux + SAQ = why I'm staying away from my favorite wine.

Post by Bacchus »

I can only envie your prices Nic. Here in Nfld the '07 Ch. Kirwan will set you back $89.99!! These government monopolies have got to go. Usurious! I don't know about Quebec, but here the government uses the liquor stores as make work projects. They always have huge numbers of staff on the job. There may be two customers in the store, but there will be a dozen or more staff members, most just sitting around twiddling their thumbs.