Trip to Burgundy recommendations?

JonB

Trip to Burgundy recommendations?

Post by JonB »

I've been tasked with organizing a long weekend (3 or 4 days) trip to Burgundy next Spring for 5 to 7 couples, including some long term enthusiasts and a few not having much interest in wine. They want to go to "someplace cool", which loosely translates to being upscale and unique. Any suggestions? I'm thinking the group may want to do some producer tours, but others may want to shop or do other activities.

I'm reading through the Burghound Travel Guide, and local travel guide author Rick Steves has a small section on Beaune.....so I'm starting from scratch.
odejesus

Re: Trip to Burgundy recommendations?

Post by odejesus »

That's a big job. 10-16 people.
Stay in Beaune, but you need two minivans which are for only 6 maybe 7 people.
Do 1 appt in am, 1 afternoon, do lunch and dinner.
Those who don't want to go to wineries, can walk in Beaune.
There are hotels inside Beaune walled city that can fit you.
If only 4 couples (Max), stay at B&B winery LoiuisJardins de Loïswhich is the winery Domaine Loïs Dufouleur, with our B&B host, Philippe Dufouleur
Maybe one day Beaune, one day south, one day noth. Don't do big name unless you got connection.
In Beaune walking you can do Domaine Bouchard (appt needed). Pere Fils Bouchard, Gambal, Newman, all walking.
Lots of restaurants and shops.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

I've only been through there a couple of times, but it's totally wine-centric, without any Napa-esque "upscale and cool". It's all about modest villages where great wine happens to be made.

I'd unleash each of the other long term enthusiasts to arrange at least one visit. I have a friend who biked through the area, but he's pretty hard core - I don't know if the area is "casual cycling" material.

Good luck!
JonB

Post by JonB »

Thank you for these suggestions. It is very helpful to have this input.....I'll let you know how it goes.....
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

I happen to be in Burgundy now for the first time. Having a great time though it's been rainy off and on all week. Clearly the main attractions here are wine and food, though there is some great cycling -- easy and quite nice between Beaune and Santenay, and more challenging in some of the hillier areas. In terms of wine appointments, it's hard to do 2 in the morning unless you start pretty early (9 or 9:30) which may not be everyone's cup of tea. One appt in the morning and one or two in the afternoon is more manageable. Food, as expected, is great here, and you don't have to spend an arm and a leg. Highlights so far have been P'tit Paradis and La Ciboulette in Beaune and Chez Simon in Flagey. Going to Aupres du Clocher in Pommard on Monday which is supposed to be terrific, and, for something different, La Ferme de la Ruchotte for lunch on Sunday. Some of the farmer's markets are great, looking forward to Saturday's in Beaune tomorrow. For wine appointments you could either try to connect with the one or two of the big negociants in Beaune (Bouchard Pere et Fils, Jadot, etc.) or use whatever connections you can elsewhere. I scrounged a few appointments on my own which have been supplemented by some professionally arranged tastings. But it took some effort and persistence (much harder, for example, than appointments in CdP where we went a few years ago). Frankly, anyone coming here should be coming to eat and drink and perhaps get a little exercise (cycling or walking) in between to burn off the calories...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the report from the field, pomilion. So I'm assuming most everyone would agree that Burgundy is a more appealing place to visit than Bordeaux?
JonB

Post by JonB »

It all comes down to attractions......there's no Father Damien in Bordeaux.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

For the past few years, I've tried to spend one week a year in Burgundy.

Visits there are of a totally different nature compared to Bordeaux where the famous châteaux often have a well-oiled PR machine.

I'd go so far to say that Burgundy excells in:

- personal contact with the winemaker
- the range of wines you taste, including, if the winemaker likes you, an older wine to *drink* rather than just taste at the end of the visit.

The guy you see in Burgundy is most often the "hands on" person in the vines and cellars.
This makes the relationship far more intimate than with someone who basically has an office job and shows visitors around.

Architecturally, the Bordeaux wine country wins hands down, and it's harder to visit a top-notch domaine in Burgundy than a similar one in Bordeaux.

Each region obviously has its charms. As much of a Bordeaux lover as I am, I must admit that Burgundy is more geared-up to wine tourism than Bordeaux.
It is much smaller and easier to get around too.
Last, but not least, I have to say that the level of gastronomy in Burgundy is better than in Bordeaux.

Oh, one last thing: visiting with 16 people is, I'm sad to say, kind of antithetical to understanding and appreciating Burgundy.

Best regards,
Alex R.