TN : 2005 Guigal Condrieu and others

Nicklasss

TN : 2005 Guigal Condrieu and others

Post by Nicklasss »

In my research of understanding of white Rhone, i bought and open a bottle of the 2005 guigal Condrieu, this weekend. Same price as the 2004 Guigal white Hermitage, I found the Condrieu, well, less interesting. Clear yellow color, nice aromas of peaches, mineral and soft spice. Add some honey melon. In mouth, thick, low acidity (probably my problem with that wine), but short after swallowing. Yes, there are some fruity apricot flavors, melon and roasted soft spices, but this wine is nothing near a WOW factor, like the Hermitage. At the end, i found it quite boring and really expensive for the quality. TN : 84.

Also opened during the weekend, the bad economy is impacting my mind and I bought some cheapy. The 2006 Fortant de France Merlot Vin de Pay d'Oc is innofansive, ininteresting, prunes with ripe red berries, but boring in mouth. No tannins and no final and no mid-palate. Correct only but when you drink that, you understand that when you taste better wines, it is hard to go back to regular sensation like that. TN : 75. Drinkable only. I would bet 2 $ that the 2 bucks Chuck is better...

The 2000 Prince Probus from the Clos Triguedina, was probably the best wine opened this weekend. Malbec from chaors, with lot of density, darker than dark color, aromas of wet earth, truffle, darkberries, tobacco and black rasberries. In mouth, thick, austere, lots of tannins, but also complex with truffle flavors and darkberries, long spicy and balanced finish. Licorice also. Really good, and many years left ahead. TN : 89+.

Nic
sdr

Re: TN : 2005 Guigal Condrieu and others

Post by sdr »

Thanks for trying these, Nic, so we don't have to :P
Nicklasss wrote:Correct only but when you drink that, you understand that when you taste better wines, it is hard to go back to regular sensation like that. TN : 75. Drinkable only. I would bet 2 $ that the 2 bucks Chuck is better...

Nic
I am bringing a bottle for you to try in Washington DC in a few weeks I hope you like even better than 2 Buck Chuck.

~stuart