Bordeaux 2010 revisited and some older wines...

greatbxfreak

Bordeaux 2010 revisited and some older wines...

Post by greatbxfreak »

On the 31st August, around 30 wines from 2010 vintage plus same quantities of older vintages, were tasted in Copenhagen. Some chateaux didn't present their 2010 and we didn't get any significant reason for that apart from a weak one - "afraid of how barrel sample shows".

2010s seemed to be more in balance than during primeur week and the tons of tannin were better integrated with fruit.

D’Aiguilhe 2010 - offered tasty black cherries, splendid structure, balance and smooth aftertaste. Very seductive wine. 91p.

D’Aiguilhe 2008 – earthy flavors, compact, strong, well-balanced with fine intensity and length. 89p.

D’Armailhac 2010 - more elegant and rounder version of Clerc Milon. 92p.

D’Armailhac 2008 – powerful, strong and concentrated, spicy flavors, certain dryness on the finish. Meeds time to soften. 89p.

Bastor Lamontagne 2005 – in light department, supple and round, quickly maturing. Good acidity. 86p.

Beauregard 2010 - showed well with cherry aromas, very good structure and fine velvety finish. Gained more concentration since April 2011. 89p.

Beauregard 2007 – charming with scent of truffles on the nose, good balance, round and ready to drink. 86p.

Beauregard 2000 (magnum) – nice and round wine, short aftertaste, seemed a bit tired. 86p.

Beychevelle 2010 - as impressive as during primeur week. Pretty aromatic and subtle wine, full-bodied. Splendid aftertaste with a lot of flavours. Graceful and stylish. Stupendous wine. 93-94p.

Beychevelle 2008 - seems to have gained more depth and concentration after bottling. Excellent bite, very aromatic, dense and complex. Delicious wine. 92p.

Beychevelle 2004 - embraces you with wonderfully aromatic nose and taste of dark cherries, enchanting finesse and elegance. It oozes of sheer class and pure style of traditional Bordeaux. 92p.

Branaire 2010 - intense black fruit on the nose, tannic, intense and long on the palate with plenty of aromatic black berries, well-structured, harmonious and firm finish. Superb showing. 92-93p.

Branaire 2007 – truffles, pleasant and charming wine, round, good tannin and fruit. Very enjoyable. 87p.

Camensac 2010 - impressed a lot. Very aromatic ripe dark berries on the nose, seductive and charming, intense, delightfully balanced. Terrific length and gracious aftertaste. Splendid effort for the vintage. 92p.

Camensac 2006 (magnum) – earthy spices, fine structure and length. Well-balanced with firm finish. 89p.

Cantemerle 2010 - as impressive as Camensac. 92p.

Cantemerle 2004 – a bit plummy on palate, seemed quite forward, ready to drink. 87p.

Chasse Spleen 2010 - offered excellent nose of black fruit with depth and intensity. Sappy and chewy on the palate, full-bodied and with persistent fruity aftertaste. Great effort. 92p.

Chasse Spleen 2005 – fabulous stuff, so delicious, sappy, complex and long. Blueberries and black cherries in excellent tasty mix. Stunning effort. 93p.

La Clemence 2010 - strong, tannic wine with robust structure, fine depth and firm finish. Well-balanced. 91p.

La Clemence 2004 - elegant wine, full of sweet fruit and truffles, luscious, tasty and with lingering aftertaste. 90p.

Clerc Milon 2010 - showed big concentration and strong structure, tight and intense on the palate, sappy and with long finish. Superb wine. 92-93p.

Clerc Milon 2004 – delicious wine with earthy flavors, great bite, complex, rich and long. Splendid structure. 91p.

Clos L’Oratoire 2010 - offered fine nose of cherries, seductive style, splendid balance, elegance and smooth caressing aftertaste. 91-92p.

Clos L’Oratoire 2007 – light, charming and round. Ready to drink. 86p.

Coutet 2010 - offered intense flavor of acacia honey, orange peel and pear, great combination of sweetness and acidity, superb concentration of candied fruits on the palate and smooth finish. Great elegance and style. Gained for sure more intensity and concentration since primeur week. 93p.

Coutet 2007 – incredibly aromatic, sweet pineapple, guava, splendid mix of acidity and sweetness, long and caressing finish. Sheer elegance. 93p.

Coutet 2006 magnum – lighter than 2010 and 2007, less botrytised flavors, not that rich, but still very enjoyable. 90p.

Destieux 2010 - strong and sappy wine, ripe and tasty black berries, fine balance and long finish. Delightful wine. 92p.

Destieux 2002 – light and charming wine, which is fading away. Quick consumption recommended. 86p.

Domaine de Chevalier red 2010 - as impressive as during primeur week. Fresh flavors of chocolate and cocoa powder, blackberries, beautifully balance, excellent acidity and length, and persistent finish. Excellent effort for the vintage. 95+p.

Domaine de Chevalier red 2006 - this wine was pretty fine with catching aromas of black cherries and blackcurrants, full-bodied and well-structured, and with fine length on the palate. 91p.

Domaine de Chevalier white 2010 - was incredibly aromatic with lemon grass, pear, apple and pineapple, extremely sophisticated, fabulous acidity and depth, long caressing aftertaste. Exceptional showing! 97-98p.

Ferriere 2010 - chocolate, mocha, dark cherries, seductive on the nose. Potent on the nose, elegant with spicy black fruit, robust and sappy. Superb long finish. Really great effort for the vintage. 93p.

Ferriere 2004 – fine intensity of aromatic cherries, fine depth and balance, long finish. Well-made wine. 91p.

Giscours 2010 - barrel sample in April 2011 was flawed, but the one presented in Copenhagen did really impress. Sappy with excellent balance, rich, strong and long finish, perfectly ripe fruit. Combines in stunning way power and elegance. 95p.

Giscours 2004 – strong and very perfumed wine, excellent structure, length and finish. All the best from Margaux commune is here and it makes you very happy. Very seductive wine! 92p.

Grand Puy Lacoste 2010 - as impressive as in April 2011. Big aromatic nose, excellent length and excellent balance. Superb long finish. Stunning effort. 94-95p.

Grand Puy Lacoste 2007 – easy going, supple, charming, truffle aroma really spicing up this wine’s seduction. Very enjoyable wine to drink now. 88p.

Haut Bages Liberal 2010 - was seductively aromatic, full-bodied and had strong backbone. Persistent aftertaste. Excellent wine. 93p.

Haut Bages Liberal 2004 – truffles again, fine balance, seductive black fruit, long finish. Splendid effort. 91p.

Haut Bages Liberal 2004 magnum – of course not that forward as normal size bottle, but all the goods are there. 91-92p.

Haut Bailly 2010 - had superb nose of black cherries and blackberries with hint of mocha. Excellently constructed, fine ripe tannin, strong structure, superb balance and long aftertaste. Even a bit more impressive than in April 2011. 96p.

Haut Bailly 2007 – light, supple and charming. Fading away a bit. 87p.

D'Issan 2010 - wasn't tasted during primeur week. In Copenhagen it showed strength, chocolate, perfect balance, excellent depth, long finish and like Giscours great combination of power and elegance. 94p.

D’Issan 2007 – pleasant, round, good grip, fine length. 87p.

Lagrange 2010 - improved significantly since primeur week. Intense on the nose with black berries, with good grip on the palate with splendid fruit and fine aftertaste. 89-90p.

Lagrange 2008 – sappy, good concentration, nice depth and firm aftertaste. 88p.

Larrivet Haut Brion red 2010 - pretty elegant and fruity wine with roundness and fine smooth aftertaste. Improved considerably since primeur week. 89p.

Larrivet Haut Brion red 2006 – good intensity of blackcurrants, good grip, nice length and firm aftertaste. 88p.

Larrivet Haut Brion white 2010 - showed much freshness, fine aromas of acacia flower, pear and pineapple, fine concentration on the palate, balance and smooth aftertaste. Very attractive wine. 91p.

Larrivet Haut Brion white 2006 – light, nice acidity, good structure and finish. Will mature quickly. 86p.

Lascombes 2010 - showed much better than during primeur week. Much more intensity and concentration, better balance, more power and longer finish. 91-92p.

Lascombes 2006 – truffles and red berries, fresh flavors, fine balance, well-structured, fine depth and smooth finish. Splendid wine. 90p.

Lascombes 2006 magnum – not that forward in development as normal size bottle. 91p.

Latour Martillac red 2010 - offered attractive nose of ripe cherries, splendid depth and intensity. Silky on the palate with fine structure, fine length and smooth aftertaste. Has gained some more depth and structure since primeur week. 92p.

Latour Martillac red 2006 magnum – earthy, strong, fine tannin, quite complex and well-structured wine. 90p.

Latour Martillac red 2005 – excellent wine, ripe black fruit, rich in flavors and nuances, long and smooth finish. Great effort. 92p.

Latour Martillac white 2010 - was intense and rich on the nose, deep with pineapple and lemon grass. Great acidity on the palate with supporting fruit. 94p.

Leoville Poyferre 2010 - intense black fruit on the nose, tannic, intense and long on the palate with plenty of aromatic black berries, well-structured, harmonious and firm finish. Seemed to have gained more depth and concentration. 93p.

Leoville Poyferre 2007 – as many tasted 2007s, it’s ready to drink and charms its way with round and pleasant ingredients. 87p.

Montrose 2010 - softened a little since April 2011, with huge quantities of ripe tannin, black fruit and fat ripe tannin, excellent depth and extreme length. This wine has an exceptional potential. 96-97p.

Montrose 1998 – very Cabernet wine, truffles and chocolate, cacao powder, elegant with fine balance and complexity, smooth aftertaste. Very stylish and classy wine. 92p.

Petit Village 2001 – charming wine with scent of truffles, good grip and good balance. Ready to drink. 87p.

Phelan Segur 2010 - showed brilliantly with aromatic intensity, chocolaty flavours, ripe berries, fine concentration, depth and finish. 91-92p.

Phelan Segur 2006 - – good intensity of blackcurrants, good grip, nice length and firm aftertaste. 88p.

Pichon Baron 2004 - very aromatic and very powerful wine with exciting minerality, splendid balance, great depth and length. Delicious stuff. 92p.

Pontet Canet 2010 - had extremely aromatic and intense nose with black sweet cherries, strong structure, excellent balance and stunning length. Sophisticated and nuanced. Hasn't changed since April 2011 and still seems to be a bit less concentrated than 2009. Maybe it takes more on weight when in bottle. Awesome effort indeed. 96p.

Pontet Canet 2000 – really fine truffle aroma on the nose, soft, fine combination of fruit, acidity and tannin, many nuances. In my opinion it’s ready to drink now but will keep 4-6 years more. Excellent stuff. 93p.

Smith Haut Lafitte red 1998 magnum – strong, spicy blackcurrants, complex, fine concentration and grip. Firm finish. Fine quality. 92p.

Smith Haut Lafitte white 2008 – dense, well-knitted winewith fine acidity and strong finish. 91p.

Suduiraut 1989 magnum – light, crème brulée, fine acidity and fine flavors. 88p.

Talbot 2010 - was similar to Clerc Milon, but slightly less concentrated. Splendid effort. 92p.

Talbot 2002 - very nice wine for the vintage, good grip, nice tannin, tasty blackcurrants and smooth finish. Ready to drink. 87p.

Troplong Mondot 2002 - very nice wine for the vintage, good grip, nice tannin, tasty cherries and smooth finish. Ready to drink. 87p.

Troplong Mondot 1998 magnum – powerful and strong, ripe fruit, complex with splendid structure, fine balance and long finish. 93p.

Du Tertre 2010 - bad barrel sample in April 2011, but in Copenhagen this wine tasted brilliantly. Strong and powerful, excellent bite, rich, elegant and long on the palate, excellent structure. Stunning effort. 94-95p.

Du Tertre 2007 – delightful to drink now, truffles, easy, round and charming. 87p.
DavidG

Re: Bordeaux 2010 revisited and some older wines...

Post by DavidG »

Great report, very interesting, even if I'm not in the market for any more overpriced Bdx.

I was nevertheless tempted by your description of 2010 Haut Bailly. And the 2010 Giscours? Power and elegance, sounds good. How was it with respect to typicity? Was it Margaux-y?
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

That's quite the list, greatbxfreak! While I might not be buying any 2010, I am in the market for selected older vintages, especially '04s. In comparison to '09 and '10 they are so affordable. So I was pleased to see they are still doing well. I was particularly interested in your comments on the '04 Beychevelle since my local store has put it on sale. I've been thinking of picking a few bottles up, but I've hesitated because most reviews I've read have described it as a bit on the boring side. Not necessarily a bad wine, just not an interesting wine. I take it you didn't find it to be boring. Enable me, greatbxfreak. :-)

Too bad you folks didn't taste a few more '05s -- just interested in the relationship between them and 2010.

Oh ya, I was also interested if anyone else has tried the 2000 PC lately. I was wondering if others agree that it is ready. I gotta bunch that have been doing that come hither thing whenever I go down to the cellar, but so far I've resisted their siren song.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thank you for reporting greatbxfreak, but from your note, we can only conclude that 2010 is very great and that we should buy! But what is very interesting, is that the ''lower priced'' wines like Chasse-Spleen, Camensac, d'Aiguilhe, Phelan Segur, seem to have produced wines not that far from the Classés..

Nic
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

DavidG

Giscours and du Tertre are always true Margaux wines.

Bacchus,

If you check profile of Beychevelle on my website, you'll find out, that I don't find '04 Beychevelle boring at all!
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Thanks GBF. I took a look at your web site. Your passion for wine comes through so strongly; makes me want to try pretty much everything you recommend! And I see that you are generally pleased with Ch. Beychevelle. I suppose what I had in the back of my mind when I commented on the lack of excitement for Beychevelle are comments like Chris Kissack's on his web site: "In the 20th these wines have not been held in high repute by those knowledgeable about the commune of St Julien. Lack of investment, lack of interest, poor selection and high yields resulted in disappointing wines. The 1993, although from a difficult vintage, typified this; in the past few decades only the 1989 revealed a little of what Beychevelle may be capable of, the wine comparable with many other from Beychevelle's neighbours that year. But with investment from GMF and Suntory I feel that change, for the better, is afoot. The 2000, 2001 and 2004 vintages are good evidence of this, although the 2002 and 2003 suggest to me that there is still room for improvement." Lot of wishy washy comments on sites like CT too.

I was also pleased to read your comments on the 2004 vintage. I was particularly amused when I read the following: "If prices in general won't go down at least 25-30% compared with 2003 prices and settle around 2002 prices, then Bordeaux will face a difficult case of having huge stock of wines and not being able to sell them. And there still are plenty of unsold older vintages, like 1997 and 1999. Bordeaux has a simple choice - either the wines will drop significantly in price or chateau owners will drink 2004 by themselves!" The '04s, of course, were generally lower in price than the '03s. Nonetheless, in the light of what has happened to pricing since 2004, I can't help but wonder how much wine the chateau owners have drunk. Or is it that they are drunk on the prices? :-)
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Wonderful report and makes me want to buy. But:

- given my wine lives in the USA and I in Dubai, I don't have much time to drink what I have.
- I already went long on 09.
- I am getting old.

Maybe I'll buy some Lynch, just in case his highness gives it 100 pts.

Michael-P
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Michael P.

I'll be in Abu Dhabi in February. Close enough to do a first-ever Middle Eastern BWE event?