Camensac 2005

Bacchus

Camensac 2005

Post by Bacchus »

Here's an affordable wine I can recommend, but it needs 24 hours of air, or perhaps a couple more years in the cellar. Initially it was quite austere: tight and tannic. Some tea, some graphite, but the (red and blue) fruit is there too. 24 hours later it has settled down some, better integrated. While the graphite and tea are still present, the fruit comes through better than when first opened. An obvious dose of acid gives it lift. Things you should know -- not a big or heavy wine; medium body. I like the mouth feel -- medium density, silky. Perhaps a bit of volatility in there, but not too much really. Medium length, with a little suck-out in the middle of the palette. I think this will improve with some bottle time. For the money, a very good effort. Score: 885.25! Score aside, if you need an affordable wine that is more than just a quaffer, this might be it. It's no Lynch or GPL, but it's good. And it doesn't cost anywhere near Lynch or GPL.
Chasse-Spleen

Re: Camensac 2005

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Nice notes, Bacchus. I have always been interested in Camensac, ever since I saw reviews trumpeting their wine for the 2000 vintage in WS. But I didn't actually get to try it until the 2006 vintage, which I thought was good but somewhat rustic and savory, not exactly what I'm expecting or looking for in Bordeaux for the most part. But I liked it, nonetheless. It sounds like the 2005 is a bit more on point. It may not have helped that I drank the 2006 side by side with the 2006 Gloria. Has anyone tried the 2000 Camensac? It must be ready to drink by now or at least close. It was interesting that you mentioned GPL and LB - all three are 5th Growths. A strange affinity. Poor Camensac!

-Chasse
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Congratulations, Chasse, for picking up on the 5th growth thing. I wish I could say I planned it that way, but in truth it was just a bit of serendipity. Pointing it out, however, does indicate the very different directions some 5th growths have gone in. GPL and LB, of course, are both Pauillac, and that may have some bearing on the differences between them and Camensac. Perhaps the better comparison would be with Cantemerle. Indeed, doing a side-by-side tasting of them might be quite informative.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

48 hours after opening now, and the wine continues to both improve and, in some regards, worsen. For the last 24 hours the wine has been stoppered with one of those pump-out-the-air stoppers. First the improvements. It seems to have put on a bit of weight and filled in the middle of the palette. It remains silky smooth, picking up some powdery chocolate notes, but nothing overwhelming (which is good in my books). Good fruit, still mostly red and blue, but a bit of black in there too. At the same time that it's becoming more complex, it also seems more focussed than before. Also developing a nice grip on the back end -- the good kind not the tart or sour kind. On the down side, the volatility seems to have increased somewhat -- a bit vapoury -- and it seems to have developed a bit of a bitter streak on the back end. Nothing huge, but nonetheless making itself felt. Can't help but wonder how this will age? Will it continue to become more balanced and focused -- will the powers of integration win out -- or will the volatility take over? Well, whatever its future may hold, at this stage in its development it is a good wine for the money. Mustn't cost more than $20 Stateside, probably less if you can find it on sale. Gosh, if they were to start paying attention to their vines and processes the way PC has, who knows . . .
finner

Post by finner »

Chasse,
Yes, I did have the 2000 Camensac a few years ago (May 09). It was completely shut down - lean, tart, and ungiving.