2003 Coutet
2003 Moulin Saint Georges
Assorted spraklers incl. Gosset and some Cremant de Loire
2007 Dme. Long-Depaquit Chablis Grand Cru Blanchots

What to drink this weekend?
stefan

Re: New non-boring arrivals

Post by stefan »

Drink the Coutet, then run out to buy more.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hound,

It looks like you made some pretty intelligent purchases...

2003 Coutet - Climens may be better, but its price has shot up sky high of late. 2003 Sauternes are luscious and you won't regret it.

2003 Moulin Saint Georges - this is from the Ausone stable. Good value for money? I'll be interested in your feedback. When I go down to the cellars these days looking for something not-too-special to drink, I'm usually zeroing in on the 2003s these days.

2007 Dme. Long-Depaquit Chablis Grand Cru Blanchots - This is a Bichot domaine that does good work. I'm thinking that this is probably enjoyable as of now.

All the best,
Alex
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

That Coutet, Hound, do you mean the Barsac or the right bank red? Speaking of the Coutet (Barsac) has anyone tried the '99? My local store has just put the stuff on sale! :-)

I've often wondered about Moulin St. Georges. Never tried it, but because of the price point often wonder about it. Anyone familiar with the '04? As usual, it's so much more affordable than any other vintage since 2003.

I've never seen that Chablis.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

It's the Barsac, Bacchus.

It looks delicious. I'm going to drink one at the first excuse. I have at least 8, or a full case if my neighbors don't want them after all for their party. Kinda hoping the latter comes true.

Stefan, for whatever reason, I guess in part because I like them and in part because of the relative bargain pricing, I've been accumulating quite a few Sauternes/Barsac. With the exception of the couple of collectible names, these wines are pretty reasonably priced for the impact they make on people (myself included) and it seems there's an oversupply of very good vintages/production. Seems there's no need to "buy now" at any given time because sooner or later somebody offers up very good stuff on the cheap.

The problem is drinking them. I think I'm going to try a Sauternes/Chinese pairing soon. Something with a coconut or sweet sauce.

Alex, I'll be drinking the Chablis on a regular schedule. I happened to try a couple of inexpensive Bichot wines that I really liked, so I figured these would be worth a shot.

As far as the MSG is concerned this is a reload. I've gone through half of a case bought on release and instead of fretting too much over buying any say 09 futures sight unseen decided that basically this is as good as I'm likely to get anyway so why mess with success. It's excellent and hasn't any defect common to the vintage so far as I can tell. Other than perhaps not having to wait 15 years to enjoy it, like say a 1998.