Help! 1966 Ch. Pape Clement????

Gerry M.

Help! 1966 Ch. Pape Clement????

Post by Gerry M. »

Being a relative neophyte to Bordeaux in comparison to my distinguished company that share this bit of cyberspace, I'm looking for whatever insight others might be able to offer into the 1966 Ch. Pape Clement.

I have a line a case but have no clue what to expect other than the limited notes I've seen on Cellartracker. The fills look good, base of neck and the bottles in general look to be in good shape. What are the odds these might offer some decent drinking? Also, any idea what these might be really worth paying for?

Thanks!
stefan

Re: Help! 1966 Ch. Pape Clement????

Post by stefan »

WineSearcherPro says that the lowest retail price is $152.80.

1966 is a long lived vintage, so the wines could be good. Nevertheless, I personally would hesitate buying a full case of any 1996 without tasting first.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Agree with stefan about tasting a bottle first. But make sure you taste the 1966, not a 1996. :)

For what it's worth, I've had very good recent experiences with a 1966 Montrose and a 1966 Malescot St Exupery. Both bottles were in very good conditon and the wines were nicely mature. I still have a remaining 1966 Malescot and a La Lagune that are being held out against my drinking will. Perhaps if/when you buy the '66 Pape Clement, we can do a horizontal.

Ramon
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

If I am able to get it for a reasonable price I plan on splitting it with a couple of friends. Unfortunately I won't be abl;e to sample it beforehand since it's at auction. My thought is given the circumstances I really don't feel comfortable going much beyond $50-55/btl. Is that reasonable to hope for? or should I expect it to go closer to $100?

Friends have picked up some auction lots of older odd/off years of various chateau's for short money that have really turned out to be a treat to enjoy. I guess I'm hoping for a similar find.

Thanks again everyone
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Gerry

I have had very happy experiences with older Papes: 1961, 1962, 1970, 1973 and 1976. On another board someone tried a '52, which he raved about.

I say go for your life mate (aussie slang expression)

Ian
Claret

Post by Claret »

We did a PC veritcal in NYC about 7 or 8 years ago and that bottle of 1966 seemed past it to me.

stefan's 1966 du Tetre OTOH was very livley in comparision.
Glenn