TN : 2001 Chateau la Vieille Cure

Nicklasss

TN : 2001 Chateau la Vieille Cure

Post by Nicklasss »

A second Bordeaux opened, in two weeks. I was expecting something good as this Fronsac had some age, and is one of the good property there. The wine was good, but nothing to amaze me. Dark red color, nose was very nice, with violet flowers, brown sugar, vanilla, dark berries, rasberries, and some cumin. But the mouth is still heavily dominated by the oak, what i find to ''simple''. Yes, there are still some dark cherries flavors there, but too much rough wood tannins, vanilla, toffey flavors, wood. Medium concentration in mouth, and short dry finish. TN : 84.

After an ''ordinary'' 2008 Chateau Lilian Ladouys, and the 2001 Vielle Cure this weekend, I wonder if I'v been far away from Bordeaux for too many weeks, so my palate has changed... i hope not and that they were just ''regular'' Bordeaux wines.

I received some 2008 Primeurs this week, including Malarctic Lagravière, Léoville Barton (the first vintage I have ever bought from this wine) and Lafleur Pétrus, hoping will be better than my last 2 bottles of Bordeaux opened...

Nic
Ramon_NYC

Re: TN : 2001 Chateau la Vieille Cure

Post by Ramon_NYC »

It's gotta be palate fatigue from drinking all those woody and tannic Bordeaux. I've not had the 2001 La Vieille Cure (the 2005 is akin to sucking on wood and nails) nor the 2008 Lillian Ladouys, but my personal experience, whenever Matt or somebody else organizes our local NYC group for an offline of the most recently-released Bordeaux vintage,is that it becomes increasingly difficult to become appreciative of these young Bordeaux. I admit that it helps me in my purchases, albeit not en primeur. But, much more glad at being able to have the patience to drink them when they're mature.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

La Vielle Cure is a nice but not very serious Bordeaux, no?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

and 3 days after, the wine did not improved at all, I would even say the hard oak wood character was even worst!

Nic