Do the Ducru

Ramon_NYC

Do the Ducru

Post by Ramon_NYC »

A Tasting of Wines of Ch. Ducru Beaucaillou
Fabio Piccolo Fiore Ristorante, NYC
November 10, 2011

It was lot of good fun with great company when 7 Bordeaux geeks got together to revisit the not-so glitzy, but definitely not lacking in class and elegance, wines from this 2nd Growth estate in Saint-Julien. Thanks to Dale for getting this dinner rolling with his effort. Unfortunately we missed a regular attendee due to car troubles, as well as the 1995 vintage. We also missed Matt, the original organizer, who’s moved to NZ.

2007 Dom. Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet “Les Vergers” 1er
An excellent wine to gather around with. Ripe, but high in lemon acidity, and long lingering tasty finish. Apples and minerals. A good wine to remember and toast Matt‘s birthday with. A-

1970 Ch. Ducru Beaucaillou, Saint-Julien
This was my WOTN. Fresh-looking, Bordeaux red, with plenty of leather and cigar in its sexy bouquet. Specks of pepper amidst ripe and plump core of red fruit. This had Saint-Julien stamped all over it in a truly elegant manner. A

1983 Ch. Ducru Beaucaillou, Saint-Julien
A throwback in style, but was a little harsh with a touch more of green vegetable. Came across as less ripe than the others. Moderate length. B

1998 Ch. Ducru Beaucaillou, Saint-Julien
Another wine that was quite lean on the fruit and with lower level of acidity. But, this one was well structured and was pleasing without over-compensating for in any of its other components. Understated elegance. B+

1996 Ch. Ducru Beaucaillou, Saint-Julien
Tightest among the wines this evening. Big and tannic at first pour. I’ve re-poured until the end of the dinner and was relieved as it showed a little more complexity, a lot of power and hinted of good things to come with proper aging. My remaining bottles will stay in offsite for many, many years. B+

1982 Ch. Ducru Beaucaillou, Saint-Julien
Showing complex tertiary notes with leather, tobacco and minerals. A smooth, medium-bodied, classy Bordeaux. More feminine than any of the other bottles. That slight vegetal note that I seem to pick up at every bottle tonight and which imho completes the wines, was present. Great with my veal chop. A-

2000 La Croix de Beaucaillou, Saint-Julien
A last-minute addition as the 1st wine bottle from 1966 was deemed dead upon un-corking. Lean and lighter in texture than any of the reds tonight. This 2nd wine from the estate still showed that general vintage 2000 taste to it with its ripeness and good balance. A nice claret, but not in the same league as the other reds that we had tonight. B

2000 Ch. Ducru Beaucaillou, Saint-Julien
I had to ask how a long this wine was decanted for (and it was for a good portion of the day just before our dinner). This was showing very well, with layers of ripe black and blue fruit. Full-bodied and muscular, this was a well-made wine representing a stellar vintage. A-

1988 Ch. Mayne des Carmes, Sauternes
The 2nd wine from Rieussec. This was a light sweet wine that was simple and more refreshing than anything else. Reminded me more of a sweet Loire or German. I thought it delivered by complementing, without distracting from, the night’s featured wines from Ducru Beaucaillou. B

Overall assessment: a very good showing by one of the region’s estate that doesn’t seem to draw, nor need, the attention that its more talked-about neighbors appear to get a decent amount of. It definitely deserves all the “quiet” respect that it gets by being consistent with its classy and understated style.
Bacchus

Re: Do the Ducru

Post by Bacchus »

The only Ducru I've ever had was the '84, about a year ago. I hope I'm not insulting anyone, but it sucked big time!

That said, has anyone tried the 04 -- robertgoulet, Claudius, perhaps?
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I have a few bottles of the 98 and the 02. I liked the 98 the one time I've had it and mine was about as you described, maybe I thought it a bit more substantial than "quite" lean. Everytime I recall that I have the 02 I also recall I've not tried it, to my knowledge. We had several vintages of DB at the NYC St. Julien tasting and I have to say I loved them all but the 1996 was indeed the tightest of the bunch then. Also I'm a sucker for the label and the name.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

I'm don't know how to search the old BWE site, but we had the 2002 DB at the 2002 release tasting that Matt/Arv used to organize. Very primary then, but I recall being impressed. Kinda steep in pricing, then, when compared to the likes of Barton, Pichon Baron, etc.

I do have a bottle of 2002 Ducru ... Branaire that is ;) , that I'm lining up for sometime this week or next. I'll be sure to post a TN on the 2002 BD.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yum, Ramon. That was a great tasting.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Formidable!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Dale invited me to this and I should have stuck around longer, sounds like a fab tasting of one of my favourite estates.

On the 2002 Ducru, not sure if it still is, but it was on the Kittle House list for $100 (this time last year), and it was really sleek and asccessible. had it next to a 2001 Leoville Barton ($125), which was even better.

By coincidence we drank exactly the same Ramonet in Bordeaux last weekend with Alex and his wife.
mike reff

Post by mike reff »

Bacchus wrote:The only Ducru I've ever had was the '84, about a year ago. I hope I'm not insulting anyone, but it sucked big time!

That said, has anyone tried the 04 -- robertgoulet, Claudius, perhaps?
Ducru had issues with their cellars in the 1980's and most of the 1980's vintages that I have tried have been less than stellar. That being said, the 1990's and even the 2004-2006 Ducru's are amazing. Bruno is a very down to earth individual. His lesser wines the La Croix is also stellar along with Lalande Borie, although one of these is creeping up in price :evil:

Good notes, and once again the venue, I am sure does not disapoint.

Mike
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Times have changed. In Sept. 2006 I bought 6 DB for $37.49 per + shipping, from of all places, Condition Scarsdale. I recall now that Mr. P panned this, but I think it was the magic 89 pts. I must find these and open one. I thought it was more like 3 or 4.