Caronne St G and Sarget (GL) 05

rjsussex

Caronne St G and Sarget (GL) 05

Post by rjsussex »

Brief notes. The Caronne I queried on this board some time ago and last night I had the second botlle from the case. Very disappointing, again. Caronne goes modern, big time. 13.5%, tastes like more. Suspiciously dark colour, extracted nose, nice enough fruit but then a bitter extracted finish. The end of the bottle worse this evening. I loved Caronne when Majestic introduced it into the UK in the 80s. Sad.

Sarget (second of GL) I've avoided hitherto but the 05 is real wine. Colour is real (not as deep as many), nose is real St Julien (mild cedar), palate is already evolved and subtle, tannins are fresh and clean. Modest, real. Not playing in the same ballpark as the amazing Moulin Riche (second of LP) and in that respect not as good value at the same enprimeur price, but a good, true wine (and a clear sign that GL is doing things right these days, despite RP's savage reviews).

Best

Richard
Otto Nieminen

Re: Caronne St G and Sarget (GL) 05

Post by Otto Nieminen »

Have you had the '06? We didn't see the '05 but I found the '06 deliciously tannic and without so much new oak and extraction as to warrant the desriptor "modern". I'll try one soon again as I have seen so many references to "modernity" in recent notes that I am starting to doubt my self.
Previously known as Geshtin.