1978 La Lagune and 2009 Baudry Croix Boissée

salilb

1978 La Lagune and 2009 Baudry Croix Boissée

Post by salilb »

1978 Château La Lagune
Seems a little bit past peak. The fruit's still there, though faded and dusty, and it's all about developed earthy, cedary and dried herb flavours at this stage. There's a little grainy tannin on the back end, bright acids that keep it fresh and while it's certainly pleasant, it's not particularly interesting.

2009 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon La Croix Boissée
Fantastic stuff. Savoury earthy, floral, herbal and red fruited scents combining into a beautiful aroma that builds with air; on the palate it's powerful and more deeply fruited than usual, but still showing the purity and finesse I always find in Baudry's wines with the tannins fine grained and bright acidity underneath keeping it very refreshing and elegant. I expect this will be incredible with time.
Comte Flaneur

Re: 1978 La Lagune and 2009 Baudry Croix Boissée

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Salil - Lagune 78 was an epiphanous wine for me but much as I hate to admit it, I agree with you, it was never an exciting wine, unlike many other notable 1978s...Lafite, Ducru, Palmer, LMHB, Petrus etc

You will have to educate us all some more on Loire reds - as prized Bordeaux progressively slides out of our reach...

Ian
chris kissack

Re: 1978 La Lagune and 2009 Baudry Croix Boissée

Post by chris kissack »

I think you're right on the baudry - it will be incredible with time. The 2010 is also lovely, although more classic in its lines. The 2009s are richer, more rounded. Hopefully I will get to taste some more 2009s in the next few months; there's a trade tasting in London featuring exclusively Loire coming up, and I will be off to the Salon in Angers in the first week of February. That's if I everget around to booking my flights, that is! :)