***BWE 12 in DC: Saturday dinner 3/31

tim

Re: BWE 12 in DC: Saturday dinner 3/31

Post by tim »

any thought as to hotels yet?
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Agreed. I am a total food geek, and I put that to the side for the BWE, especially the Saturday night dinner. All we need is a dinner that isn't horrible and a friendly venue. If we have one that has worked well in the past and is willing to work with us again, let's go with it.

SF Ed
hm$

Post by hm$ »

I don't care enough to make a point of it. The 3 most important things are, of course, the people, the people, and the people, followed by the wine in 4th place.

The food at CP was pretty good, but I thought it was unimaginative and somewhat pricey (for what it was). I will check with Tosca to see if they can do anything, Friday or Sat., in case anyone wants to use them.

Hotels will not come up until after Jan 1 at the earliest. 6 to 8 weeks out is sweet spot, but don't worry, weekends in DC are always pretty easy.

hm$
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I get a kick out of how, every year, someone says the food was "just okay," "nothing special," etc. I mean what do you expect!!?? Sure, we can charge $500 a ticket and go someplace fancier. We'll probably have about two people attend. The food at Charlie Palmer has been JUST FINE, a complete NON-issue. There is a lot of work that goes into organizing these dinners, and going to a place that knows what we want, is enthusiastic about having us, etc., is very important.

We need about another ten commitments, so that we can account for the inevitable number of people who drop out at the end. It will be important for people to sign up and get their checks in as soon as possible, so that people like Dave can make arrangements with the venue, people from afar can make travel plans, etc.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I too am a bit of a foodie but I tend to put less emphasis on the quality of the food and more emphasis on the oppportunity to spend some quality time with too-seldom-seen friends in a place where the evening flows smoothly. CP has done this well twice in the past and even though steak and salmon are not exactly imaginative dishes, they are reasonably wine-friendly and well-prepared. I think the cost was $225 or $250 last time we did it in DC, which was very pricey for "what it was." By limiting the menu choices to what I've posted above, I think I can keep the price down to less than $200. We still have to negotiate a few details but I'll have a more solid number before asking people to send checks. I might ask for a few extra dollars for some relatively inexpensive non-vintage Champagne since we usually have only a few bottles of good stuff that people bring for the welcome reception, but not enough to go around by the time the late arrrivals show up.

Tosca sounds like a promising spot for one of the Friday dinners if they don't have a private room that can hold us all.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

If Andy chimes in and says he's coming then add my name to the list. We spoke a couple of days ago and he said he was interested and if I'd go also.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Gerry, as Benevolent Dictator of BWE and an honorary member of the BWE Boston Sub-Chapter, I hereby order you and Andy and yours to attend....

(Seriously, these conventions are enormous fun, you have to treat yourself to one in your lifetime. And that Malinoski guy needs to get to one as well....)
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Two more guests, so up to a six-pack for us, David.

And Jim, if Andy and Gerry make the trek to DC, I would surely hope they have room in the bus for Michael M.!
sdr

Post by sdr »

Count me in for two as usual.

(Sorry I've been MIA for a while.)

Stuart
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Great! I think that brings us up to 28, David, with the addition of Stuart and Kathy.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

JimHow wrote:Gerry, as Benevolent Dictator of BWE and an honorary member of the BWE Boston Sub-Chapter, I hereby order you and Andy and yours to attend....

(Seriously, these conventions are enormous fun, you have to treat yourself to one in your lifetime. And that Malinoski guy needs to get to one as well....)

Andy is traveling this week but he may chime in. He and I both want to go but we'll have to work on the logistics including whether or not the wives would attend. We just saw Michael this weekend (brace yourselves for another salvo of tasting notes!!) but we didn't discuss until after the party broke up.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

No pressure Gerry, but we'd love to have you there! These conventions are great fun. DC is a fun place to hold it.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

1 - When should we be sendig our checks?

2 - Did we conclude on a more defined theme yet?

Michael-P
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I suggest we do: "The Wines of Bordeaux."

As for the pre-dinner blind tasting, I suggest we do: "1996 Northern Medocs vs. 1995 Northern Medocs."
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I can get behind '95 vs '96 Medocs. We've done it before and it's been a hit.

So now we need some input from those coming as to which wines they can contribute. I'll start another thread...
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I think that Paula and I have safely cleared the dates on our calendars, so you can add 2 to the list.

Jon
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Excellent! This is shaping into another epic BWE extravaganza!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

SF Ed wrote:Agreed. I am a total food geek, and I put that to the side for the BWE, especially the Saturday night dinner. All we need is a dinner that isn't horrible and a friendly venue. If we have one that has worked well in the past and is willing to work with us again, let's go with it.

SF Ed
Hi Ed:

Are you and Lisa both planning on coming to DC?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Negociations over.

Drumroll................................. please add me single.

For the blind tasting, I have:

95 Rauzan-Ségla
96 Grand-Puy lacoste
96 Lagrange

I also have 3 bottles of the 96 cos, but I really want to keep them for my 50th birthday.

Nic
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

DavidG wrote:
SF Ed wrote:Agreed. I am a total food geek, and I put that to the side for the BWE, especially the Saturday night dinner. All we need is a dinner that isn't horrible and a friendly venue. If we have one that has worked well in the past and is willing to work with us again, let's go with it.

SF Ed
Hi Ed:

Are you and Lisa both planning on coming to DC?
Still figuring it out. Not sure if I can, and if I do, it will almost certainly be solo. Lisa is now working at a start-up where she has very little flexibility or vacation time.

SF Ed
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Woohoo Nicklasss!
Hope you can make it, Ed!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think you have Jon & Paula listed twice, David.
With Nic, I think that brings us up to 31.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

add 1 guest for us please-my old friend Jack who has attended BWE events in the past including Charlie Palmer.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Jim - fixed. And with Nic and Jay's friend Jack, we are back at 32. I think that is close enough for me to make a final cost estimate this weekend and post the amount and address for people to send checks. Will try to keep it in the $150-175 range. Stay tuned...
sdr

Post by sdr »

Another vote for Charlie Palmer - great space, friendly service, good food.

I liked Dino, but I think I am still digesting some of the food. Maybe they can do something a bit lighter this time along with the heavy stuff. Or perhaps an asian restaurant time. The one in Chicago a few years ago served fabulous family-style pan-asian items. We drank a lot of German and Alsatian that night.

Nic - you are very welcome to come down to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami any time. It's a 3 1/2 - 4 hr. drive.

Stuart
Last edited by sdr on Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Nicolas: The drumroll was perfect, and glad you can make it!

Ed: I hope Lisa's start up gains ground soon so she doesn't need to work around the clock, and hope you can make it to DC.

Looking forward to another amazing weekend!

Michael-P
of7271

Post by of7271 »

I'm also interested in attending. Looking forward to it!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Omar: welcome aboard. I know you PM'd me earlier today and I suggested you post to the thread expressing interest. Tell us a bit about yourself - some of the stuff you mentioned to me earlier - so we all get a chance to know you a little.
of7271

Post by of7271 »

Sure! I'm a former member of the Oxford University Blind Tasting team and will be living in Washington for the next year. I'm particularly fond of the wines of Bordeaux (specifically Left Bank) and look forward to participating in events and meeting members through BWE.

As new member, I have a few obligatory questions about BWE '12: does each individual bring a wine for the dinner? If so, what are the guidelines for that? Is there going to be some sort of vintage or specific Chateau theme? What is the usual the format of the dinner? Are the wines typically tasted blind? Also, will the dinner include sweets such as Sauternes? I also noticed there was quite a bit of discussion regarding stemware. Is it recommended we bring our own? (I'm obviously inclined to bring my own Riedel if the restaurant can't provide).

In addition, are there any other events in the DC area that BWE will be holding before March? If so, I would be interested in participating in those as well. I look forward to being an active BWE member as well as meeting many of you in the months to come.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Welcome Omar, we look forward to seeing you at DC '12!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Omar:

The BWE Annual Convention is really a several-day affair. Everyone brings wine. People usually arrive Thursday or Friday. Some small groups may meet for dinner on Thursday. One of our members - Howard (HM$) is a Priceline wizard and helps the out-of-towners land a room in a nice hotel at a great price. One or more of the hotel rooms in "BWE Central" will often serve as a site for an informal get-togethers between the dinner events.

Most of the festivities start Friday evening with a couple of larger dinners. These dinners are BYO and are usually themed - but not Bordeaux. Perhaps Rhone or Syrah or Italian or Burgundy or Italian or...

The "main event" on Saturday is for the entire group and is a Bordeaux themed dinner. Again, everyone brings something. Some bring several bottles. We try not to be rigid about themes, except for the blind tasting portion of the evening. After a Champagne reception, we have an hour for a small blind tasting (usually 6 wines), and then dinner with a free-for-all sharing of wines. Most of the wines served at dinner are not served blind but there are no rules. As long as it's Bordeaux. And yes, Sauternes/Barsac are welcomed.

Some people will get together for a hair-of-the-dog brunch on Sunday.

Glassware is always a bit of an issue if you like to keep multiple glasses in front of you at once. Locals often bring their own, and some of the out-of-towners will bring their own too. Charlie Palmer should be able to supply two glasses per person. I'm thinking of buying some cheap but decently sized/shaped stems to supplement.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Looks like we are up to 33 with Omar added to the list.
I'll follow your lead on stemware.
of7271

Post by of7271 »

Sounds terrific. I'm looking forward to participating in my first (of what I hope to be many) BWE Annual Convention. I'm also lucky to find myself working in DC this upcoming year as well as finding such an enthusiastic group of claret lovers.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

pls add another guest. I will have her send check directly to Tom
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

I've received two checks, both from Texas (so apparently through some USPS time-warping Texas-to-DC Pony Express!)

Get 'em sent, folks!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

David,

Reidl produces a restaurant grade line of glasses made from glass. I bought 4 cases of these in Ottawa about 5-6 years ago(not on sale) for $3-4/glass just to have around for our dinners and group tastings. You'd be hard pressed to notice any significant differance from the vinum line.This is what most restaurants carry labelled as Reidl stemware. You should be able to find the same through anyone selling restaurant/wine supplies to the restaurant trade and usually to the public as well. These have been great to have on hand. You could even incorporate another $15-20/person to cover the cost.
Danny
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I am giving serious consideration to just that option, Danny. I think I am leaning, however, towards renting 150 glass stems - pictures look pretty good actually with sides that curve in a little towards the top, though I am sure they are not as nice as the Riedels. Available in 12- and 16-oz versions. 12-oz is probably a good size for tasting pours and will not take up as much real estate on the table. Renting 150 will give us enough so everyone can have 6, including the ones supplied by CP. Rental avoids the cleanup hassle and the issue of what to do with them all afterward, and is actually a lot less expensive, including pickup and delivery, than buying the stems.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

add one more guest please
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

You got it, Jay.

We're up to 35 - attendance is capped at 40.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Only 5 places left, get your checks to Tom now!