NWR. An ugly decision

William P

NWR. An ugly decision

Post by William P »

Nothing good will come from this day. Nasdaq my 9yr golden retriever is ill. I suspect today I will get the news of the problem from the tests. It's either cancer or possibly a gall bladder malfunction. If it's a gall bladder the operation will cost $4,000-5000. While my beloved dog is worth the money, he has had a number of health problems before this latest. I know his quality of life will suffer and his life expectency may be only two more years at best. If it's cancer, the decision is easy, but no less conforting. If it's an operation, the issue gets uglier. No matter what, this day will suck.
AlexR

Re: NWR. An ugly decision

Post by AlexR »

I feel for you.
We had to put our dachshund to sleep just before Christmas a couple of years ago.
This caused a pallor to hang over the whole family.

We had had our dog operated for a tumor but, of course, it grew back.

I wish you luck in facing up to a sad situation.

All the best,
Alex R.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Sad time and hard decision for sure. Animal pass a long time with us and we become so use to them, they're part of the family. i wish you courage in that tough moment.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm sorry about your dog, Bill, hang in there.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Bill, sorry to hear this. Best wishes to help you through some tough times.
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

I too am saddened at your furred family members' plight. Our Baby JU JU gave us pure joy for seven years until she developed Alimentary Lymphoma. We had her treated with Chemo for three months she only improved for a couple of weeks and had to be put to sleep when she could no longer eat. Although the cost was about $5,000, the real expence was the stress Ju Ju had to endure every two weeks when we put her in the carrier and brought her to the vet.

She's gone about two years and Steph and I are finally at the point where we can remember her antics that brought laughter in our home and love in our hearts.

My thoughts and prayers are for Nasdaq to go into remission and regain the boundless love Goldies are famous for.

John
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

Our 16 year old cat recently brok her her leg & we're spending a lot of money in the hope it heals. It's no sure thing, but we were not going with the vet's first recommendation.
William P

Post by William P »

dang vet is letting me twist in the wind. Still no test results back or alternatively the vet hasn't found time to phone me. Thanks for the support guys.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Bill I had a 14 year old basset who was just geezing out on me (enlarged heart for one) and one day he just kind of blew out and stopped eating, and could not digest even the little food that retained some taste appeal to him. We did an ultrasound and found a nasty looking thing in the general area of the pancreas. The option was surgery to determine what it was and remove it or just to put him down. Given his age and condition and the vet's opinion that maybe it would give him just another six months I knew the best thing for him was to put him down. Of course I had his best interests in my heart but I had some serious remorse immediately afterward. Still, quality of life I think is the guiding factor in the decision. Me and the hounds will be hoping for the best.
stefan

Post by stefan »

You have our sympathy, Bill. It is sad when a favorite pet comes to its last days.

stefan
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

Really tough. My brother-in-law has a Golden Retriever, and faced a similar decision a few years back.

Goldens are a breed that kind of manages to convince you that they are people. Makes things even harder.

F
Claret

Post by Claret »

Bill, sorry to hear about NASDAQ. I recall him being a big and friendly Golden.
Glenn
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Condolences Bill. Certainly understand that upheaval a pet can bring to a family. Our long time family cat has been with us for 15 years and is showing the dwindles and my wife and more so my 17 yr old son are dreading the inevitable. It's hard when the family pet has become a member of the family.

Good luck,

Danny
Danny
William P

Post by William P »

yes Frank you are correct, goldens truly think they are humans which makes it all that much harder. The wait for the test results is mercifully over. They ruled out the non-invasive problems. Fortunately or unfortunated the decision regarding an operation was made by Naz's deteriorating condition. He can't get up, losing muscle mass, and he won't eat so we will have a house-call vet put him to sleep tonight. This will allow my daughter to travel from the Bay Area to say good-bye to her dog. Thanks guys for allowing this unpleasant thread, I do appreciate the support.

Bill
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

When Naz crosses that Rainbow, he'll sit and wait until the rest of his family does the same. Greeting all one, by one with a wag of his tail and a lick on your cheek.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That's really sad, Bill, well I'm glad BWE at least offered you a place to put down your thoughts.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

So sorry for your loss, Bill. Our thoughts are with you.
ericp

Post by ericp »

Terribly sorry to hear about your goldie Bill.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

The dogs know when it's their time. He's grateful you heard his message.
William P

Post by William P »

7:40......