TN: some recent wines from around the world.

JonoB

TN: some recent wines from around the world.

Post by JonoB »

At a friend's house!

1981 Chateau Chasse-Spleen; Moulis-en-Medoc
stewed strawberry, plum, cassis, tobacco, cedar, still very fresh, elegant, but a touch short, a much rounder and more resolved bottle than the last hinting at bottle variation. Whilst this is a pleasing wine, the last bottle was a more developed love it or hate it bottle in terms of its old school style! Herbs, burnt hay, squid ink, bloody Mary, iron and minerals. Dusty finish. *******- or [4.5+5+4+4.5=18/20]  

2010 Eden Valley Voignier; Yalumba
lemon, lime, minerals, warmth, elderflower and bitter herbs, lovely freshness, grass, simple, but tasty and balanced. Again, wonderful QPR from Yalumba. *****(**) or [4+4+4.5+4=16.5/20]  

At Oregano, Islington, London

2009 Oberhäuser Brücke Riesling Spätlese: Donnhoff
lemon, honey, nice balance. Lime, zest, apples and minerals, a touch of metallic flavours, classic and very very good. ****(***) or [4+4.5+4.5+4=17+/20]  

2008 Savigny-les-Beaunes 1er Cru "Les Serpentières"; Patrick Javillier
crisp, herbs, minerals, strawberry and light red plums, leaves, earth, truffle, nice depth and complexity, minerals, sandstone, poised and elegant. Slightly sappy, perfumed, young and in need of lots of bottle age... Stacked with potential. ****(**+) or [4+4.5+4.5+4=17++/20]

2007 Santa Maria Valley, "Knox Alexander" Pinot Noir; Au Bon Climat
fresh, easy, clean, ripeness but with rocky mineral freshness, leaves, dark plum, sappy balance. Really nice but it is immediately pleasing, whether it will improve is a question but does it matter. ******+? Or [4+4.5+4.5+4=17/20]  

2001 Côte-Rôtie "La Landonne"; René Rostaing
pepper, black plum, herbs and rocks, slate, minerals, marble, squid ink, good freshness and poise. Super depth, wild strawberry, tobacco ash, clean structure, grippy dusty tannins give it some bite. A really classy bottle of wine. *****(**+) or [4:5+4,5+4.5+5=18.5+/20]  

1997 Brunello di Montalcino; Caparzo
iron, rust, truffle and earth, squid ink, black plum, black cherry, poised, with tannin and structure, but it is nature and in a great place. A herby, leafy, sous bois finish. ****** or [4.5+4.5+4+4=17/20]  

At Kensington Wine Rooms, Kensington, London

2009 Petit Chablis; Domaine Billaud-Simon
lemon, lime, oyster shell, a touch of roundness and cream. These have improved in bottle over the year. Early drinking but with a complex, easy finish. Nicely balanced if lacking a touch of poise. ****(**?) or [4+4,5+3.5+4=16/20]  

1998 Sassicaia
stinky, kirsch, blackcurrants, dense and dark, mushroom and earth, smooth and round, with lots of depth and some poise. A touch creamy... Decent freshness and balance. Complex but far from exciting and in need of a lot more time to unfurl. Dull now but... ***(***+?) or [4+4+4+4=16++/20]  

2009 Lagoalva do Cima Branco Reserva; Alentejo [Arinto-Chardonnay] 
a bit of toast and bacon fat, oak, butter but rounded and balanced with a slight mineral streak. Crisp, mineral, vegetal palate, lemons, limes, nicely poised but not as racy as the 08. The nose is big, the palate is balanced and with elegance, but perhaps 09 isn't my sort of vintage. *****+? Or [3.5+4.5+4+4=16/20]  

1998 Urbina; Rioja Reserva Especial
earth, soil, mushroom, black fruits, wood, very woody, black plum, quite short, leafy, herby, and it is opening in the glass. I just can't get past some pretty nasty wood (it isn't that the wine is woody, it is just that the wood is not great quality and dominates the finish. Vanilla, dried meat. There is some depth and a very old example is probably loveable in the extreme but this is both too young and too good an example of what isn't good about classic Rioja (unless it is Lopez de Heredia; but they leave it in the cellars long enough). ***(**) or [3.5+3.5+4+3.5=14.5+/20]  
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
Comte Flaneur

Re: TN: some recent wines from around the world.

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Shame we didnt manage to share the Chasse-Spleen Jono, sounds like an outstanding bottle. Agree on the Rostaing, really classy stuff and I should have included it i my top 50.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

I have another bottle Ian!

It has your name on it... ;)

(ITB)
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

2008 Savigny-les-Beaunes 1er Cru "Les Serpentières"; Patrick Javillier
crisp, herbs, minerals, strawberry and light red plums, leaves, earth, truffle, nice depth and complexity, minerals, sandstone, poised and elegant. Slightly sappy, perfumed, young and in need of lots of bottle age... Stacked with potential. ****(**+) or [4+4.5+4.5+4=17++/20]
I tasted this wine twice, hmmmm, I just didn't get it. I found a bit too tart and not overly complex. I didn't find any improvement in decanting either. On the other hand for the same price the '07 Louis Boillot carelle sous la chapelle cleaned it's clock.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

Robert, it isn't a wine that shouts from the rooftops. It is very subtle and restrained. The complexity will come, but it probably need 15 years to really get into its stride.

(ITB)