Riesling Fan 1990 Zaltinger Sonnenuhr *** Selbach Oster

PappaDoc

Riesling Fan 1990 Zaltinger Sonnenuhr *** Selbach Oster

Post by PappaDoc »

David,

I was thinking about opening this btl in the 375 mm format today. I looked for some notes on Cellar Tracker and saw you (I believe-Rieslingfan was the name of the reviewer) wrote a nice note (96 points) on this or the reg 1990 Zeltinger Sonnenuhr. Which one was it, and have you had the 3 star if your note was on the reg btl ?

Thanks,

John (PappaD)

I want to open up something special as Gio "Vino Rosso" on the Old BWE is cooking dinner for four of us at "Tom Creedos'" another old BWE handle, and Gio is bringing a 2000 Colin Deleger "Chevy". I know that btl is chancey, but SDR gave it a couple of excellent notes along with some Premox reviews. Fingers will be crossed, his backup btl is 01 Graacher Himmelreich JJ Prum Aus
My backup btl is 1989 Maxi "Abtsberg 'Aus reg btl not the Fuder 133 or Fuder 98. I have one #133 left, drank two one with "The Count" and Svetta some 5 years ago and one last year, it still needs time or lots of air.
Rieslingfan

Re: Riesling Fan 1990 Zeltinger Sonnenuhr *** Selbach Oster

Post by Rieslingfan »

John - I had (and still have) the regular. It's a stunning wine. I have a good friend who has the *** version & her experience has been mixed - some really good, some going OTH from 375. I would drink up.

If you open the Prum grab a decanter! The regular 1989 Abstberg is drinking well with about an hour of air. The 133 is a stunner with room to grow.
PappaDoc

Re: Riesling Fan 1990 Zaltinger Sonnenuhr *** Selbach Oster

Post by PappaDoc »

Thanks David,

I won't take a chance, I'll pop the Maxi and decant for an hour. Had the 89 Maxi Abts Spat with Dale Ramon, Chris, and Arv a month ago. It got to its' peak when Dale was almost home on the train. It had been opened for a couple of hours and still needed more air. Dale thought it was the 88 but it was the 89.

If we open the Prum I'll give it a violent shake to get rid of the SO2 and then I'll decant. I did that with the 06 JJ Prum Graacher Himmelreich Aus this past weekend. My friends thought I was nuts (perhaps they are right) but I had poured a little of the just opened btl into their glasses and they all saw the benefit of the treatment, much prefering the "Shake and Bake Nate" version.
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

Of course the 2006s are not all that gassy to begin with...I had several of them "pop and pour" about a year ago with Katarina Prum & they showed beautifully right out of the gate.
Claret

Post by Claret »

I got a small bonus pour of the 06 JJ Prum Graacher Himmelreich Auslese at a local wine bar recently and it was very good. The trace of sulfur from the previously opened bottle dissipated pretty quickly with some agressive swirling.
Glenn