Intl. Travel Info

Chateau Vin

Intl. Travel Info

Post by Chateau Vin »

As I mentioned earlier, I will be in Bdx this summer for Left Bank Bordeaux Cup Finals competition.

I was just thinking if I like some wine, I would like to get few bottles in my checkin baggage. Does anyone know if there is a limit with respect to US customs dept., how much alcohol can one get? Is the limit dollar amount or number of bottles? Any idea?

Thanks,
DavidG

Re: Intl. Travel Info

Post by DavidG »

I've brought back as many as 18 bottles - 12 checked and 6 carry -on - before the prohibition on liquids in the cabin, and more recently a case in checked baggage. If there's a limit I haven't hit it. Just declare it. Customs is likely to wave you on through since duty is pretty minimal - based on quantity, not price - and it's usually not worth their time to fill out the paperwork for a few dollars duty. Theoretically the state you bring it into could have a beef, but I've never seen a state cop at customs and I don't think they have the Feds doing the States' work.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Danny
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Good article, Danny. I would add that shipping wine back from overseas can be a nightmare unless you have an importer in the US who will clear them through customs and pay duty for you. Much better to bring them yourself as checked baggage.

I wasn't aware of the 3% IRS tax. Never had an agent even ask about cost of the bottles. Maybe I'm lucky but they always just look at my form and wave me through.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

I guess I've been lucky, too. I've brought back up to 18 bottles before and just keep bringing 'em back especially when on a European trip, and always declared. Customs never asked additional question about wine, but will always ask if I'm bringing back cured meats and foie gras.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

The cost of the bottles should be included in the dollar value of everything you're bringing back, as written on your customs form.

Of course, the only wines anyone would ever bring back to the US are those quaint 3 euro bottles of village wine, right?
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Tom In DC wrote:The cost of the bottles should be included in the dollar value of everything you're bringing back, as written on your customs form.
Of course. Have receipts available in case of valuation and authentication. As matter of fact, always have receipts of everything that's purchased abroad. Like I said, wife and I brought back bottles countless number of times (all declared and valued). Customs never batted an eyelid in regards to wines. Perhaps just lucky all the time, but if I had to pay duties, I'd rather pay the presumably much lower prices that I paid for them than worrying about where they're going to get their valuations from.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Never been dinged for the value of the bottles either, even though it's included as part of the total. But I've rarely brought back anything terribly expensive.