tn 2000 leflaive puligny pucelles

jal

tn 2000 leflaive puligny pucelles

Post by jal »

Oooooh what a gorgeous wine! With scallops for an appetizer and pan roasted cod as an entree, this was a great bottle. Awesome nose of white fruit with a hint of smoke, and on the palate an oily and vibrant entry with minerals and then layers of fruits with a strong structure. A rare combination of finesse and power but also terrific precision. One of my favorite wines from one of my favorite producers; just blows away the 2003 Chevalier we had last month.
Best

Jacques
dstgolf

Re: tn 2000 leflaive puligny pucelles

Post by dstgolf »

Jacques,

Sounds delicious and thanks for sharing. We have a soft spot for quality white Burgs but with Premox have had some issues since 01/02and especially the latter. Had looked forward to two six packs of 02 1re cru Burgs bought recently. Similar scallop/halibut lineup. Had one of each in the fridge and both badly oxidized. two more popped into the freezer for quick chill and again oxidized. Luckily for us the LCBO takes all wines back no question. I've even taken off wines as far back as a recent 96 corked Conseillante with no questions. They may charge a hell of a lot more than most are used to around the world but their service and guarentee is second to none. The only problem in this case is that we had more frustration in not being able to enjoy a wonderful wine with a great meal like you did. Envious but c'est la vie!

Danny
Danny
Claret

Post by Claret »

Leflaive rocks, no doubt about that. I am glad that this bottle delivered for you.
Glenn
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

Jacques,

I haven't really enjoyed one 2003 White Burgundy and that includes the Bienvenue Carillon I brought back from Burgundy, the Chevy you brought to Jackdaws, and the 03 Roulot Meursault "Charmes" I had this past weekend at "The 1976 Judgment Of Paris" Redux hosted by Ned Towel and Special Guest George Taber author "Judgment of Paris" Most 03 Whites are hot and unbalanced in my experience. Now the 2000s are great if not oxidzed, last two btls of 2000 Meursault "Poruzots" & Genevrieres" from Francois Jobard were undrinkable brown gold. c'est la vie to quote Danny, and Damn I couldn't get my money back!
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

When it comes from a great year Leflaives "Chevy" is in the top five White Burgs for me.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Seem like an impressive bottle! Did you open it with Jil? Of course, if it is the case, that can just improve the impressions...

I can't remember exactly what it was, but when i went to your pool party in 2006, you gave me a bottle of this I think, but the 2001 vintage. Did not opened it yet but I'm sure it will be an amazing wine.

I lost track about something : will we see you guys in DC in 2 weeks? I hope so.

Regards,

Nic
jal

Post by jal »

Hi Nicolas,

Yes, I opened it with Jill, it is a much better wine when shared that way :)

For me Leflaive's Pucelles is the standard by which all other Pulignys must be judged. I can enjoy others, of course, but this wine has a certain effect on me.

Unfortunately, due to some family obligations, we will miss the BWE gathering. In any case, if you want to stop by on your way to Washington (or back) you are obviously most welcome.
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

For sure, I won't be able to stop in NY, as I'm flying to DC and don't have vacation left. But this summer, if Jim organize something in Maine, probably we could go South to see you. Of course, it depends if Eric can keep an eye on Simone, while the ''old guys'' are enjoying wines :-).

Nic
sdr

Post by sdr »

I don't recall ever being disappointed with a (Domaine) Leflaive wine. Elegance, balance and flavor authority. I've been lucky so far - no prem-ox bottles yet ('95, '96, '99). The Pucelles is a real beauty, as good as the BBM for me.

~stuart
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the note Jacques...a veritably vicarious note...Pucelles always seems to show relatively well, and Leflaive was strong in 2000. My Clavoillons - one left - have been terrific but probably a step down from Pucelles. No sign of prem-ox and still youthful.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Sounds great, Jacques. I like everything about Leflaive's wine other than the price.

stefan
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

Ian,

Clavoillons is the one somewhat affordable Cru ($90-100)from Leflaive and it's always pleased me.
Long time no see, hope that changes in the near future.

John
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I checked last night. It is a bottle of 2001 Les Combettes from Laflaive that you gave me. Probably a superb wine.

Nic
jal

Post by jal »

I thought it was the Combottes, Nicolas because I don't remember buying any Pucelles in 2001. I hope you will enjoy it as much I did.

I think Leflaive is biodynamic, whether that has anything to do with the fact that their wines are rarely hit with premox is beyond me (though that should not stop me from making up some pseudo scientific theory :) ).
Best

Jacques
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

PappaDoc wrote:Ian,

Clavoillons is the one somewhat affordable Cru ($90-100)from Leflaive and it's always pleased me.
Long time no see, hope that changes in the near future.

John
Pappa - we should try to arrange something this spring...for the NY crowd...maybe in late April or May? Perhaps when BD is down from Lewiston. Chris "The Edge" Chasse has been on about it and Jacques mentioned it at the start of the year. Have not been down Scarsdale manor recently though hope to rectify that soon. With the exchange rate as it is I have been scooping some amazing Blighty bargains...e.g., as per Richard Sussex's recco, Langoa 04 - a case for less that $30 pb all in and some Ceretto Brunate 04 at $40 all in.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Count me in!
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

"So shall it be done!"