On the wine rack as opposed to in original wood case.

JimHow

On the wine rack as opposed to in original wood case.

Post by JimHow »

As I have explained before, I believe I suffer somewhere in the middle of the autism spectrum. My obsessive compulsive disabilities ebb and flow depending on situational stressors. One of the problems that I've noticed is that I'll feel liberated to drink a wine if it is on the rack, as opposed to if it is locked up in its original wood case. Kind of like avoiding the cracks on the sidewalk. Thus, for example, have I drunk 11 of my 12 bottles of 2005 Lagrange because they were not sold to me in a case but rather a box, and I put them in the rack. My case of 2006 Lagrange remains untouched, however. I only have 3 bottles left of my case of 2000 Lynch Bages. Why? Because back at Sonoma '06, I cracked open the case that Werner had sourced for me, and drank a bottle with MichaelP. Now that the 2000 Lynch case had been violated, I was liberated to drink the rest of the case... in my own mind, at least. My case of 1996 Lynch, on the other hand, is buried at the bottom of an 8 case pile of cases. My mixed case of Lafite is securely buried away, the second from bottom in an 8 case row in the 40 case owc section of my cellar. Untouched. As long as a wine remains in its original wood case, it is relatively safe. If it is on the rack, though, its days are likely numbered.... Why? No good reason, other than the ravages of a pretty debilitating obsessive compulsive disorder.
Houndsong

Re: On the wine rack as opposed to in original wood case.

Post by Houndsong »

Well I'm thankful you had previously cracked the 2000 Lynch because when we had it at your place I really liked it. On the other hand, I'd rather you had nine left instead of three because I thought that wine was well set for a long and rewarding lifetime.

I have no such problem cracking owcs, though admittedly all but one of mine have come pre-cracked due to shipping.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That's exactly the point I'm making, Hound. Obviously, those 2000 Lynches need time. And they would have gotten another 20 years untouched in the original wood case... but for the capricious decision to crack one open in Sonoma, thus violating the virgin case.....
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

You need help, sir. And I am just the person to open those cases. I'll even choose so you won't have that stress either. You're welcome.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Hey, you are welcome any time, Bacchus.
Timmy McCracken is coming to Maine in mid-summer, what better reason for a BWE gathering in the most beautiful place on earth....
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

What do you think might happen if you created enough rack space for every single bottle and opened all your cases? Then all the wines would be on an equal footing, at least from that perspective, and you might be more inclined to open them based on their vinous qualities rather than their packing status.

(if I did this, the cellar would soon fill and crates would start piling up again in short order.)
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I remember drinking the 2000LB in your room at Sonoma. Besides MichaelP, wasn't TomfromDC there as well?
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

I do remember sharing that wine at Jim's room, Jay. Had the bottle already been opened before we arrived? Maybe that would get us off the hook, or at least reduced to a 2nd degree case-slaughter charge...

As far as storage, all of my racks are full, and the "big-pile-o'-wine" (trademark pending!) in the middle of the cellar is floor-to-ceiling outta control. I know I should have the stacks of cases arranged in some rational way, based on relative maturity, but that would mean moving a lot of the b-p-o'-w every time something new arrives. Sends shivers up my spine, and pain to my lower back!
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I just remember the wooden case sitting in the middle of Jim's bed. A grown man sharing a bed with a case of Bordeaux-shocking I tell you. Or were there 2 beds? That's ok then. However, there is no doubt we all could have been brought on charges of infanticide. Only time I've had that vintage of LB.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Don't ever open these ''still untouched'' cases Jim, they're maybe full of rocks...

When Tim will be in Maine? I'll be in New Jersey (Cape May) from July 14th to 21st. Maybe I can stop for a dinner in NYC and Maine on the way up or back? I'll be with MC and the kids...

Nic
jmccready

Post by jmccready »

Your compulsive disorder makes for one helluva forum.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Lol... Thanks jmmcready.... I enjoy and appreciate your participation here.

Yes, I do recall that night back in 2006, we were all in my room, there must've been about 20 of us, drinking young 2000 Lynch among numerous other fine Bordeauxs. I recall MichaelP immediately saying this was a great wine. Myself, I was not immediately impressed. But I have come to see the greatness of that wine in the years since!