Vintages

RonaldBurgundy

Vintages

Post by RonaldBurgundy »

I am willing to part with a couple of vintages I have left in my collection. The bottles are dirty and there has been some slight seepage. ( nothing less than a bottom neck fill). I inherited these bottles from a relative who passed away.They were kept in a temp controlled fridge. The reason they are dirty is beacause at the top of the rack was a bottle a champagne that blew up and leaked all over them making some of the labels hard to read. Nevertheless. these wines are still good. I have already opened a number of bottles including a 1973 La Tache and a 1973 Petrus Pomerol not to mention about 4 bottles that had no labels but of course were bordeaux's as you can tell from the cork. I also opened a La fiole du pape.( year unknown but the collection ranged from 1959-1986). All were delicious!
Please send me a message if you are seriously interested, I am only looking for $1000. I'm located in New Jersey and can ship them if needed.
List:
1976 Echezeaux (domaine de la romanee-conti)
1973 Petrus Pomerol
1986 Louis Jadot Beaujolais
1979 Chateau Beychevelle
Houndsong

Re: Vintages

Post by Houndsong »

Ron Burgundy! I've seen you on TV! Thanks, but I'll pass.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

You are "only" looking for $1,000.
Yeah sure.
The Beaujolais should have been drunk decades ago, 79 Beychevelle is past it and never a great wine, 73 is an average Pomerol vintage and almost certanly well past its prime and the Echezeaux is also too old as well - should be okay at best at age 36, but get real.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Tough crowd, but I have to admit I'm not tempted either. The only two that got me to look twice were the RC Echezeaux and the Petrus. Both from poor years. Petrus may have been wine of the vintage, but still probably past it. Both are showing at very high prices in Wine Searcher, but only from one merchant. Compared to that, this could look like a deal. But I doubt those bottles are going anywhere anytime soon.
JonB

Post by JonB »

Ron - anyone interested would want to see pictures or inspect the bottles, so you if have pictures you might want to upload them to the site.

These days there is hyper-awareness of fraudulent bottles of older and expensive wines, so if they are not fraudulent you might obtain a higher value through an auction house (that puts their reputation on the line if these aren't authentic). e.g. Sotheby's, Acker (www.ackerwines.com), Zachies.

Have you tried any of the Beaujolais?
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

David G
I'm old enough to recall the 73 vintage.
the wines drank well young - but they were light and a bit simple.
At 20 years, even the first growths were showing signs of age.
You would nly buy this wine as it is Petrus. I would preferto buy the contents not the label.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I agree Mark.
RonaldBurgundy

Post by RonaldBurgundy »

Thanks for the insight guys. Yea i was comparing to prices on winesearcher. And no I haven't tried any beaujoulais. I'm open to offers though. I have pics just cant figure out how to upload them, ill email them to anyone who's interested.