BWE France?

DavidG

BWE France?

Post by DavidG »

There was some talk after the recent BWE convention about doing one in France again in a few years. I like this idea and had a thought I'd like to run by Tim & Alex:

What do you think of timing a trip to coincide with the foire au vins? There is supposedly a ton of wine backed up in the pipeline and a lot of it, including the "good stuff," goes to the supermarkets at substantial discounts every spring and fall. I believe the '08s were the main attraction this spring. Would that mean the '10s would be on sale in the spring of 2014? There's something appealing about the idea of a bunch of BWEs going on a Crusade to the Holy Land to pillage the once high and mighty 2010s.

I know a lot can happen in 2 years but with the '10s being so overpriced and the '11s being such a dud, do you think there's an opportunity here?
Houndsong

Re: BWE France?

Post by Houndsong »

I'm for splitting a BWE Conex. Back up the container ship. Even if I can't go.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi David,

The foires aux vins at French supermarkets take place at Easter and again in September.
They are bunched closer together at the various chains at Easter.
However, Easter is on the 8th of April in 2013. You have to be careful, because this may be just after or even during the "en primeur" barrel tastings of the 2012 vintage.
Not a good time.

September, before harvest for most people, is a good time although, as I said above, the sales are more spread out (harder to pinpoint the dates a long time in advance).

I'm left wondering though: if BWEers living in America were to buy a couple of cases of wine, how would they get them back to the States?
(or would they drink them in their hotel rooms? ;-))))))

All the best,
Alex R.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Thanks, Alex. I see where the timing could be problematic. How far ahead do you usually have hard dates for when the individual stores are running the sales?

Are the '10s likely to be the ones on sale in 2014, and is either the spring or the fall sale more known for availability of the 2d-5th growths?

As to getting the wines home, I would take empty styrofoam shippers with me, then fill them up with my purchases and bring them back as checked baggage. My wife and I each get 3 free checked bags (maybe 2 each for international travel?) based on our frequent flyer status, otherwise this could get expensive. Might have to pay some duty on arrival back in the US, but I don't think it amounts to much and I've always been waved through for declared wine. The hardest part if we bring back multiple cases would likely be finding cabs that could fit it all in from the airport and back.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

David,

I honestly don't know how I could find out the exact dates a year in advance.

The Foires aux Vins tend to have vintages that are often snubbed in America plus the youngest going vintage (unless it is snapped up by foreigners thanks to its reputation).

2009 and 2010 both have good press, and they can't sell *all* the wines to the Chinese...
So, I think your calculation about the 2010s being offered is probably correct.

However, as someone who has gone to these things for many years, I can tell you that the proportion of great growths is worthwhile, but not that huge.
The rule of thumb is: the greater the wine (or the greater it is thought to be), the more likely it is to be less expensive abroad!

Best regards,
Alex R.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Interesting Alex, that the greater the growth the better the price in the US. I'm also hearing that the Chinese aren't really into the Bdx market to the extent that we'd all been led to believe.

As to the foires au vins, how far ahead do they usually announce? A few months might be enough to plan a personal trip, if not a concerted BWE incursion.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

David,

I just read the export figures for 2011 and will post soon.

If you timed a visit to France two weeks/10 days before Easter, you should probably hit the "high season".

Alex