BWE Hawaii - This is NOT a Drill!*

Houndsong

BWE Hawaii - This is NOT a Drill!*

Post by Houndsong »

Accepting bids on shipment appx. 40 cases Bdx Colo. dest. Oahu. Please advise.

Also desire persons take delivery ~ 6 cases Bdx futures SF, Chicago, DC areas for short-midterm holding. Thx.

Mahalo!

*Pretty sure.
JimHow

Re: BWE Hawaii - This is NOT a Drill!*

Post by JimHow »

I can't help you but I just watched The Descendants last night.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Sounds like big news!

Are you sure you want to ship stuff east? I could store a few cases for you if that would help.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Many moving parts, too long and involved a backstory. If I had to place a bet, I'd say the odds are 80-20 we'll return to Colorado in 3 years. My wife is totally gung-ho now but I give it 6 months before she gets the wanderlust. After all Colorado was going to be our terminal domicile and we were here about a year before she was eyeing other gigs/places. She's the Goldilocks who's yet to find just right. Just last week the plan was to take an early out and buy a ranch. Anyway in that scenario I simply find someplace to stash all this wine for the time being and have the few cases of futures that will be arriving this fall held in storage at the retailer or delivered to storage in Colorado.

For the duration, I can just buy cheap Bdx from K&L and have them fly it over for the same price as what the wine costs. :cry:

I do see a place in Honolulu or nearby that will store wine 20+ cases @ $3/per case/per month. It's early but that's $3/bottle/per year I think. That sounds not bad, but I have no idea what storage costs elsewhere. But I don't see shipping all that wine, it would be prohibitive, not to mention a PIA, especially if it was going to be reshipped in three years.
JonB

Post by JonB »

I could give you some advise on shipping options, but if you may move back to Colorado, it may be easier and less expensive to ship a smaller quantity of cases via UPS or Fedex in shipping boxes, and store the rest in a Colorado wine storage. So if you can "cherry pick" what you want to try over the next few years and just ship that.

There is a Costco or two in Honolulu that have good wine selections, but for the most part Costco has pulled out of extensive offerings of Bordeaux, although they do carry some higher end wines.

Now your uke will be back home.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

My cellar is full, but I have a buddy in Fort Collins with lots of climate-controlled cellar space who might give you a good deal for part of your storage.
William P

Post by William P »

Hound did you decide to move to Oahu afterall? You can give me a call or email. I can store six cases for you.

Did you go to merrimonarch this year. I am headed over in 6 days.

Bill
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Then there's always this approach:

PARTY AT THE HOUNDS'!!!
William P

Post by William P »

Oahu has a few very nice shops. This is not the Big Island or Kauai.
JonB

Post by JonB »

Maybe a CONVENTION site for us left coasters?
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I must inject a note of caution here that this is not a done deal. Things proceeded in a binary off-on manner for a few days until this afternoon when mention of red tape popped up. So it's gone from "consider it done" to wait until mid-May.

I appreciate the offers of support. I will have to ponder the variables and draw on my sole course in operations research to arrive at the optimal solution should things come to pass as supposed.

If so a west coast/Pac Rim BWE event will have to happen. Of course such will not be limited to west coast/Pac rim BWEers.

In the meantime I'm resuming the search for "ranch property" tomorrow just in case. This is the way it is around here.

Bill, no Merrie Monarch this year. But if we do go out there I won't rest until I actually get tickets.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

What is Merrie Monarch?
William P

Post by William P »

The Merrie Monarch is the State of Hawaii hula competition, party, get together in Hilo every April. It's a world famous competition. When I met Mr. and Mrs. Hound last May on the Big Island, he thought he would go this year because he was unable to get tickets last year.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

It's a go. We'll be out there in the fall time frame. Between now and then, heap big headache.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Color me green (papaya).

Should be a hoot.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Congratulations! I think/hope...

Still happy to offer cellar space though I'm still not seeing the logic behind wine going east while Hounds go west. Then again, I've had zero operations courses.

The family and I will be in Kona in January. Hmmmm....
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Thanks, David. I never thought of any wine I already had being transshipped for storage elsewhere, only that someone might say, pick up a case from MacArthur's that I had ordered as futures. As it is, I just got the Gruaud that I'd ordered from them. I still have a few cases of futures outstanding from a few different sources, and the question is what to do when they're in stock. I'm sure these can be left at the retailer as a last resort, rather than shipping them to Hawaii. Most of them should be arriving by the fall, in which case I can accept delivery before I go. It's actually a minor problem way down the list as I survey the time horizon from here to October.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Ahh, that makes sense. That ops course wasn't for nought after all. Well if you do need anything picked up in DC it's just down the road and I'm happy to help.

I don't know how much free time I'll have in HI and how much hassle it is to island hop, or if you will even be available, but if the cards fall right maybe we can have a little BWE HI dinner in January. Let's keep in touch.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

David,

I've had taxi fares in NYC that are higher than inter island travel in Hawaii!! Pretty cheap,convenient and frequent flights made it worthwhile in the past. Not sure current state since a number of the inter island competitors have gone bankrupt.
Danny
William P

Post by William P »

Art, glad this is happening. I know we'll see each other in the next few years. Next year is Kauai and I am hoping the Big Island for 2014. Maybe it's time to add Oahu to the mix. Enjoy.

Bill
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

David,

Just checked with Island Air they are $88 each way with tax Kona-Honalulu. Not bad for a good night!! They have seat sales to watch for $49.
Danny
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Thanks, Danny. Looks like $173 round trip. Not out of the question if the schedule works. Perhaps a bit premature to begin planning anything.