Singing the Praises of Un-sung Wines from Bordeaux 1982

Ramon_NYC

Singing the Praises of Un-sung Wines from Bordeaux 1982

Post by Ramon_NYC »

6 of us gathered at Morton’s Steakhouse in midtown Manhattan to drink through a bunch of 1982 Bordeaux that have not quite made the level of popularity and high prices of wines from other more publicized producers. We missed a few of the other regulars last night, but the small group was still most enjoyable, plus I was admittedly a little more impressed than most with the overall showing of the wines, especially considering that these were the cheaper and not-so lauded ones from the vintage.

Whites:

NV Godme Pere et Fils Champagne Blanc de Noirs Grand Cru
I quite liked this lean, restrained, bready sparkler. Easy with soft minerality. B

2003 Dom. Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre Chablis Premiere Cru
An appealing mixture of butterscotch, mineral and slight sulfur in the bouquet. Young and acidic, smooth, plenty of power, muscular. Long finish. Drinking very well tonight. A-

Reds:

1982 Ch. Malartic-Lagraviere, Pessac-Leognan
Leafy, roast herb and cigar. Ripe, but enjoyed with a tinge of green vegetable notes. B

1982 Ch. Cos Labory, Saint-Estephe
Expressive bouquet featuring wood, leather, herb and fresh meat. Specks of pepper, core of ripe black fruit, still a bit young and tannic. B

1982 Ch. La Louviere, Pessac-Leognan
Corked.

1982 Ch. Pape-Clement, Pessac-Leognan
Mineral and fresh herb notes. Lively wine, sweet black fruit, big. A good showing. B+

1982 Ch. Rouget, Pomerol
Wet earth and ripe fruit on the nose. A big wine with layers of ripe red fruit, fine tannin, and fresh acidity. A pleasure to drink.. A-

1982 Ch. Talbot, Saint-Julien
Tobacco, leather and meat notes. A smooth cabernet which seemingly can be stored with more cellar years. There’s power amidst core of black fruit, herb and fine balance. A-

1982 Ch. Gloria, Saint-Julien
Less rich than the Talbot. High acidity level. Medium-bodied with layered fruit and earthy complexity. B+

1982 Ch. de Sales, Pomerol
Slight harsh tannin, sour cherries and will probably not improve any further. Short finish. B

1982 Ch. Feytit-Clinet, Pomerol
Confection with beefy, smoky nose. Cassis, sweet, savory and a nice structure. Good length. B+

1982 Ch. La Croix, Pomerol
Somewhat watered-down taste amidst juicy, sweet black grapes. B-

1982 Ch. Nenin, Pomerol
Whiff of dry earth and wood with freshly-baked confection. This restrained wine showed very good balance with hint of blueberry pie. Long tart finish. A-

1982 Ch. Suduiraut, Sauternes
A very lean sauternes that was a bit tired with notes of burnt brown sugar. B-
Houndsong

Re: Singing the Praises of Un-sung Wines from Bordeaux 1982

Post by Houndsong »

Not bad.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Very nice! '82 Rouget and Talbot were 2 of the wines that first got me interested in Bordeaux.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Thanks for the notes, Ramon. I think we still have some Rouget, de Sales, Talbot and La Croix in the basement. They do seem to do fine on their own at the dinner table.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Thanks, Ramon. Nice notes, amazing that petite chateau are still going strong 30 years on...

Talbot 1982 is pretty serious juice though, an A-/A wine in my book.
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Thanks for the comments, gentlemen.
I only have 2 or 3 1982's, but would very gladly have almost all of these wines in my cellar today
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

Blanquito wrote: Talbot 1982 is pretty serious juice though, an A-/A wine in my book.
The Talbot 1982 was the odds-on WOTN both on paper and expectations.
It didn't disappoint.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the notes Ramon, shows that ths is a really great vintage despite all the doubts/doubters
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Great notes Ramon, thanks for posting them. Also great to see Comte Flaneur posting again on BWE. I have enjoyed a lot of bottles of 1982 Bordeaux and have been very pleased with almost all of them. All of my bottles of 1982 Gloria, de Sales, Rouget and La Louviere are long gone but I have fond memories of them. More recently La Lagune, Meyney, Haut Batailly and Talbot have showed very well. The big stuff is still rocking with more to come. Shared a fabulous bottle of 1982 Pichon Lalande with my lovely wife Marjorie on our 30th anniversary back in March. 1982 was a great year.

Chris Bublitz