I don't drink like this every night but . . .

sdr

I don't drink like this every night but . . .

Post by sdr »

Once in a while, you have to go for it. It helps to have a wine-rich friend who loves Bordeaux and has lots of it.

1990 Krug Clos du Mesnil
Virtually perfect. It smells like a kitchen where someone is making Christmas cookies. It seems almost sweet but of course it's perfectly dry. Predominant flavors of fresh brioche, brown sugar and gingerbread. Compulsively drinkable, it's better to drink without food, which serves only as a distraction. What a stunning champagne at its peak.
99 points

1986 Chateau Lafite Rothschild
We were expecting something still forbiddingly tannic, but not so - and this bottle was purchased on release. Loaded with blackberry and cassis. It's fully mature and long on the finish. Not quite as complex as some older Lafites but since the balance is near perfect, I expect addition layers of flavor to gradually reveal themselves in the years (or decades) to come.
96 points

1982 Chateau Lafite Rothschild
So this is the wine and the vintage of it much loved by the Chinese. Is it really that good? Yes, it is. The bouquet is composed of a beautiful melange of black fruits and violet. On the palate, it is remarkably soft and silky. The tannins have melted into a sweet and savory background. Extraordinary finesse and balance. This is finally fully mature. The epitome of elegance.
97 points

1959 Chateau Lafite Rothschild
Fill up to the mid neck, it seems impossibly youthful, and the back label explains why - it was recorked at the Chateau in 1990, so no chance it had been "Rudy-ized." Some orange and rust at the rim. Syrupy texture. Extraordinarily complex aromas and flavors or brown sugar, dried leaves, black and red fruits. This was the unanimously preferred Lafite of the trio we tasted ('86, '89, '59), but it was very close. There was a Lafite signature on this mini-vertical of elegance, finesse and complexity which slowly reveals itself over the decades.
98 points

1920 Cossart Gordon Malvasia
Hugh brought this bottle which has been open for 6 months, and he says it is better now than then. I'm not experienced with Madeira, but this is my favorite one. Sweet but not too much. The sugar/acid balance is perfect, so that I could drink a second (tiny) glass, which I rarely do. A great way the celebrate a mini Lafite tasting.

Stuart
jmccready

Re: I don't drink like this every night but . . .

Post by jmccready »

A magnificent tasting and great notes. Are you sure the 1982 was only 97 points? And the Mesnil would have been a study in itself at this age.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

whew! Good job Stuart!! I remember the 82 Lafite from our first dinner at Equinox a few years ago. Very nice then but, IIRC, I preferred the 82 Latour. Our BD will probably disagree with me as he loved the Lafite.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I don't drink like that any more, but...

A bottle of '59 Lafite is one of my "best ever" wine memories. Just a little notch above even the '82 first growths in my memory. What a treat to drink them all together! Thanks for the report.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Great collection, Stuart; congratulations!
JScott

Post by JScott »

I think it's more memorable if you don't do this every night! Fabulous lineup. The bookends alone are worthy! I would also have guessed the '86 would suffer a little by comparison, but it sounds like you got the full show from each bottle. Marvelous.