TN: 1978 Château Cabrières - HOLY CRAP!!

HarryKaris

TN: 1978 Château Cabrières - HOLY CRAP!!

Post by HarryKaris »

l already had several of the 1978 Cabrieres over the past 2 years. Last bottles I purchased from Uwe Bende in Germany. One of them I am drinking tonight.
This is without any doubt the best showing till now....I really wish Cabrières still made these kind of wines....
First thing I said was 'Holy Crap" - yearning flash backs of Frank Barone who used to shout holy crap now and then in one of my favorites "Everybody loves Raymond"....

High neck level - but a very bad cork totally soaked and fragile - despite this color showed amazingly fresh as if it was a very youthful wine.
Expressive nose with Lavendre, licorice and truffle.
The concentration and intensity of this wine is more than impressive.
Complexity and refinement are at a very high level.

The gripping long hedonistic seductive finish would make even the most incurable, grumpy, emotionless tedious mistrustful person smile......

CdP-Harry
AlexR

Re: TN: 1978 Château Cabrières - HOLY CRAP!!

Post by AlexR »

Harry,

>>> The gripping long hedonistic seductive finish would make even the most incurable, grumpy, emotionless tedious mistrustful person smile......

Gosh, I sure hope you weren't thinking of me when you said that ;-))))))))).

Alex
HarryKaris

Post by HarryKaris »

Sure it was you who I meant -:))

Reading your extensive Cahors report (I stayed there in 1985) makes me think that you are writing a book.......!!

CdP-Harry
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Harry,

Something must have changed with this producer. Just finished the last of my 98s and they were far from the "holy crap" level. With 98 being a wonderful year I would have thought this would have been better than average and this was mediocre at best. Have they changed owners/winemakers since 78?
Danny
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I still maintain that the 2000 has some potential to be a long term wine, although I can't predict the future of CNdPs..