2001 Phelps Insignia

dstgolf

2001 Phelps Insignia

Post by dstgolf »

What a nice way to end a fabulous week up north in the mountains away from work,stress and the kids!! We've had a few good wines this week with the second most memorable a Priorat Clos Abella 2005 which was surprisingly good. Typically Priorat with full bore Grenache and torrified notes but wonderful balance and length.

Tonight started with Babich Sauvignon Blanc from NZ with pate and goat cheese. Nice combo and the NZ SB always get the juices flowing especially with goat cheese and a little red pepper jelly.

Rib steak with Montreal steak spice finished with butter was special with the 2001 Insignia. Great steak but better wine. Bought this at Sams Chicago sell-out for $49 a bottle. I thought something must be wrong with the wine. Bought 4 and tried one in the hotel room back in 2004 and not convinced this was anything more than average Calif Cab so didn't go back for more!!###?? I'm disappointed now. This wine is typical Cali Cab with all sirens blazing. Beautiful cassis dark cherry nose almost kirsch like that gets my wifes spirits rising! That makes any wine in my books a winner. Palate is smooth rich and long finish. Nice dark fruits but lacks the secondary notes and complexity of finer Bordeaux. Sexy wine but still a Calfornian through and through. Nothing wrong with that and it is what it is and a very good bottle of wine at that. Certainly hurt when I knocked the last sips over with my elbow while sending this note on a perfect night that is just beginning!!
Danny
Chasse-Spleen

Re: 2001 Phelps Insignia

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Very well done, Danny. Great note. I've only had a few '01 Cali Cabs, but my feeling is that it is a great vintage out there. An unheralded superstar, IMOHO.
-Chasse
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Danny,

One of the landmark wines of California.

How does the price compare in Canada to a good Bordeaux (I really can't say "comparable"...)?

All the bet,
Alex
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Enjoyed this vintage of insignia immensely, glad u enjoyed
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Alex,

When I bought these bottles at $49 per bottle it was a steal in retrospect. I have never seen the bottle available through our LCBO regular release. It has come in packaged with multiple other vintages in the $200-250/bottle. That's right up their with the second growth pricing. In the USA you can find Insignis at $100-150 depending on vintage. I'm certainly not a regular purchaser of it. Montelena,Caymus,Dominus,Hall, Fisher and Terra Valentine have been my recent wines to get when State side.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I had 4 bottles of this wine, I think I paid about $75 per bottle. I enjoyed the first three immensely, I have one left.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

You did get a steal, Danny. The '01 Insignia was going for $75-100+ full retail on release. I remember paying under $50 for the '94 - an absolutely fantastic wine. The '01 is also a great wine, but I think I liked the '94 better. Hard to compare in retrospect/by memory.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Anyone had the '97 Insignia? I have a lone bottle and have considered selling it...
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Had the '97 about 4 years ago. Lush ripe fruit with lots of oak.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Recently tasted '97, for me...its good...but not memorable, could have been the bottle