TN : 3 X 2009

Nicklasss

TN : 3 X 2009

Post by Nicklasss »

I had some friends for dinner last Friday and I'm still opening low-mid range price 2009 Bordeaux, as the vintage prove to be excellent to now. Ripe but very very good. So I opened a bottle of the 2009 Chateau Clauzet, a Cru Bourgeois from St-Estephe. Well the Cahteau Clauzet was very good. Dark color, aromas of darkcurrants, meat, spices, old cherries, and some oak. In mouth, it is well balanced, well structured, nice ripe tannins, with flavors of dark berries, tea, minerals, meat and a long final on flowers and red berries. Good freshness too. So nice to drink right now... TN : 90-91. This wine did not look too ripe, as I would expect from St=Estephe, being located up north of M/doc, and with lot of clay. Very good.

Last night, I went to my parents place for dinner. My father opened a wine, and pour a glass for me blind, to guess what it was. Medium to dark color, nose was clearly a mix of chocolate, green pepper, red and dark berries. Rasberries. More herbs and some vanilla. In mouth, very pleasing, well made, but on the soft side, medium power, low level of tannins. I thought it was a Loire red, as I could easily identify some Cabernet Franc. I rate it 87, having some character and nice drinkability. It was the 2009 Chateau Haut-Perthus Bergerac. An innexpensive wine, made in the South West, made from 60 % Cabernet Franc and 40 % Merlot, very nice.

Tonight, as Jim had a nice 2009 Margaux last night, I opened a bottle of the 2009 Chateau Tour de Bessan, a Cru Bourgeois. Medium to dark red, with nice red berries, spices, red cherries, and light oak. In mouth, intense but stay Margaux in style, with Margaux red berries, dark cranberries, incense, dark red flowers, nice power, medium tannins, low acidity, with a long final with oak, light sour sweet cherries, that stay long time on trhe tongue and throat. Another winner from that 2009 vintage... Where this vintage will lead us? Again, 2009 hit me with a powerful, intense and very ripe wine, but stay veru Bordelais. TN : 91.

What to say? I'm thrilled by 2009, and I,m looking forward to see how 2010 will compare, as 2010 is supposed to be very ripe but with a traditionnal style/structure. Like many, being 38 years old right now, I plan to buy many 2009, and 2010, not necessarly the most expensive, to enjoy in 15-25 years from now.

Nic
Bacchus

Re: TN : 3 X 2009

Post by Bacchus »

I only got one thing to say. I wish I were 38!
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

based on my limited tasting of 09s, you're making a smart move. I do hope you come visit the BWE rest home and let us taste them in our wheelchairs when they mature.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The second night, the 2009 Chateau la Tour de Bessan was even more "Margaux" in style, with more red berries, but still lot of character and soft oak/flowers on the finish. Nice.

Nic
JonB

Post by JonB »

Nic - was 2009 another birth year for you? I'd stock up, even if it is just close to a birth year. I know my wife takes a more favorable view if I'm buying with the thought of our kids in mind. Hope all is well.