For those who buy wine from Garagiste...

Jay Winton

For those who buy wine from Garagiste...

Post by Jay Winton »

According to the recent NY Times article, Garagiste is planning to open a warehouse in Washington DC area. I queried Nicki who told me it would hopefully be in the spring and wine pickups will be available. I've reduced my purchases from Garagiste due to the shipping windows and delivery costs. This might not be good news after all for my so called wine budget.
tmas

Re: For those who buy wine from Garagiste...

Post by tmas »

+1

I really enjoy getting the often unique wines and food items from Garagiste, but I agree, those shipping costs are brutal. I wonder if it'll be less to ship to NY from DC.
RDD

Post by RDD »

tmas wrote:+1

I really enjoy getting the often unique wines and food items from Garagiste, but I agree, those shipping costs are brutal. I wonder if it'll be less to ship to NY from DC.
You can always drive down for a day and pick up.
I used to do that in my early days.
I'd buy futures at Basins and in NY area.
In the fall I'd make a run with Susan and have nice dinners and collect futures.
One year we got snowed in for three days in an empty motel with our own private hot tub, room full of fine wine and a great pizza joint a phone call away.
A great unplanned vacation!

Also maybe Garagiste will provide some competion to McAthurs/Basins.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

So far the drive to Garagiste, RDD, has been daunting for us East Coast denizens as they are located in Seattle. :-)

Unless Garagiste changes their business plan, they will have no influence in the DC pricing model. However much we like to think we are players, the embassies, NGO's, and gubmint agencies will spend many, many more $$$$$$$$ on booze than any of us mere citizens. And those folks are all spending OPM (other people's money) so they tend not to be price sensitive. Go figure...
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Never been a Garagiste customer - wines didn't seem to appeal and didn't need another hassle with getting stuff shipped. But apparently this is a big operation. Recent article in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/magaz ... -101412-L2