I poured a Grand Cru down the drain

Claret

I poured a Grand Cru down the drain

Post by Claret »

This was another white Burgundy disaster courtesy of 1996 Brocard Chablis Les Clos. The usual clues were apparent, first the peroxide treated cork with the blueish gray tint on the bottom, the golden color as I poured into the glass, and the butterscotch influenced nose. I took a small taste and spit it out quickly. This wine was another premoxed mess.

I opened a 1996 Lamblin Vaillons and it is beautiful and perfectly preserved. Only 6 more bottles of white Burgundy are left in my collection now. They will all be opened soon with backups. I will not buy anymore, period. I hate literally pouring good money down the drain.
Glenn
Claudius

Re: I poured a Grand Cru down the drain

Post by Claudius »

Claret,
I recognise that tint!
The rest of the cork is lighter than it should be??? - must be the peroxide effect.
On the weekend, opened a Chavy Puligny Montrachet 1er Cru Les Folatieres 2000 that was also premoxed.
It was buttercup yellow with a strange nose like off cheese.
Oh well..
stefan

Post by stefan »

Bummers, guys. This is why I am buy very few white Burgs and drinking those that I have while they are young.

stefan
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Stefan,
I have rationalised the growers.
My main producer now for white Burg is Remoissenet, and I have not had a single bottle from 1995 onward that is premoxed.
Also have not had premoxed wines from Chouet Clivet, Lequin Colin (though they have a whack of sulphur), Germain, Boillot or Jadot.

The worst cases I've had are Paul Pillot (complete disaster) and Chavy, though there are numerous others where I've had 10-20% premoxed wines.
In CHablis, had issues with Domaine de Maladiere mainly.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Mark, for me Bonneau du Martray, Verget, and Colin Deleger have been the worst, but I have had oxidized bottles from most producers from whom I have drunk more than a case of 95-01 white Burgundies other than Chablis. I have not had a single oxidized Chablis, but then I have never drunk much older Chablis; in fact, the oldest I have now is from 2000.

stefan