Affordable Bdx?

Bacchus

Affordable Bdx?

Post by Bacchus »

I was hoping to get a bit of help from my fellow BWEers. I was picking up some 05 Dom. Chevalier today (very few left in the stores here) when I bumped into one of the guys who imports Bdx for the liquor board. With the sky rocketing prices of the 09s and 10s (much worse in Canada than in the States even), he's planning a trip to Bdx in the very near future to find a more affordable product to sell. He's hoping to find great wines at a great price, which is to say, he's hoping to find lesser known wineries (non-classified houses) that are producing fine drinking despite their lower price tags. And he's willing to take suggestions! So, here's an indirect opportunity for BWEers to influence the wines being sold in Canada; well, at least in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador! My question to you all, then, is what's good out there in the affordable range, say $15-$30? I'd love to hear everyone's recommendations in this price range. Don't worry about 2nd wines of classified growths; we already get all of them (along with the 05 DomChev, by the way, I picked up some 2010 Esprit de Chev, just to try). Thx folks.
Ken

Re: Affordable Bdx?

Post by Ken »

I have been very impressed with many of the less expensive 2008 and 2009 bordeaux that I have tried. These include (no particular order):

2009 Vieux Clos St. Emilion: 4/15/2012 rated 88 points: Double decanted about two hours before serving. Full nose of dark plums and casis with medium mouth feel. Flavors persist but are linear and not terribly complex. Not surpring given the wine's young age. Moderate, soft tanins hidden by fruit, moderate length. Very nice wine for the price and a good buy.
2008 Viewx Clos St. Emilion (tasted twice): 2/2/2012 rated 87 points: Did not decant. Similar to previous tasting. This is a medium weight wine with very nice casis nose and initial flavor, moderate tanin, and moderate length. Good clean fruit, good acidity, could probablly benefit from 1-2 years aging, but will not be a long lived wine (5 years?). Purchased a case after the tasting the first bottle 3 months ago.
10/11/2011 rated 87 points: Double decanted about 2 hours before serving and chilled to 65 degrees. Served with grilled lamb chops. Moderately intense casis fruit, minerals, and spices. Casis persist into the mid range with moderate, soft tanins and moderate length to the flavors. Lovely moderatelly priced wine, will buy more of these. Appears characteristic of the 2008's with good fruit, good acidity, approachable wines early, soft round tanins, and moderate aging potential.

2009 Rollan de by: 6/1/2012 rated 88 points: Double decanted about an hour before serving. Dark color, full nose of blackberries, plums, and casis; mouthfull of fruit in the mid-range with moderate tanins partially hidden by the fruit. Good length, slight heat from alcohol in the finish. While the bottle indicates 14%, I would guess the alcohol in this was closer to 14.3% or 14.5%. Still, another nice generic bordeaux from 2009 that, while not exactly cheap ($25.00), is a reasonable value for the price. Should be around for 8-10 years.

2009 Chateau Daugay (tasted twice): 5/27/2012 rated 88 points: Double decanted about 4 hours before serving. A bit more plummy in the mouth and texture. Still a full mouthfeel, casis, plums, good length. Tanins a bit more pronounced, but still largely hidden by the fruit in the mid-range. A wine for those who like new world influence and substantial fruit.
edit... 4/22/2012 rated 89 points: Double decanted about 2 hours before serving. Full nose and mouthfeel of casis, black cherries, blackberries. Good length. Slight alcohol in the finish, but tanins completely hidden by the fruite in the mid-range and finish.Served with grilled NY Strip steak. Perhaps not a great value at $31, but my wife like it which is always a good recommendation.

2009 Tour St. Bonnet: 8/22/2012 rated 87 points: DId not decant but opened about an hour before serving. Much better wine than I expected given some of the early notes. Purple, full nose of plums and leather, moderate length, with an initial touch of heat from tanins and alcohol in the finish. Fairly typical, good, petite Bordeaux at a very good price.

Of particular note are the 2008, 2009, and 2010 le Conseiller:
2009 le Conseiller: 11/1/2012 rated 89 points: Have purchased a couple of cases of this wine. Excellent generic Bordeaux from a great vintatge. Intense nose and initial flavor of casis and black cherries. Full mouthfeel, moderate tanins in the finish and good length. Great value for the price.
8/9/2011 rated 88 points: Double decanted about 1/2 hour before serving. Dark purple color, nose a bit closed in with a hint of fruit and spices. Initial flavors of black cherries, with a slight astringency from the tanins in the midrange. Very promising, but will benefit from a year or two of aging. Will try againg tomorrow to see how it evolves.
Second day: Intense casis and black cherry fruit in the nose, and intense fruit in the initial flavors and mid-range. Soft, round tanins, good lenth on the flavors. This is an excellent wine that will only get better. Should be decanted a couple of hours before serving. Certainly a 90 point wine at this stage. (1157 views)

2008 le Conseiller (tasted twice): 10/24/2012 rated 89 points: Echos previous note. Excellent generic Bordeaux. Full nose of casis and leather, full mouthfeel with slight tanins in the finish. Good length. Exellent QPR. Recommended. (139 views)
. 4/3/2012 rated 89 points: This is an excellent generic bordeaux. Double decanted and opened about an hour before serving. Rush of casis, mild tanins partly hidden by the fruit; full, sharp mouthfeel; linking flavors. Very slight bitterness in the back of the palate that dissipates with time. Excellent QPR. (652 views)

2010 le Conseiller: Just purchased but not tried. HWSRN gave the following review: An undeniable sleeper of the vintage, this dense ruby/purple-colored 2010 over-delivers in every wine tasting category. With plenty of fruit, body and purity as well as complex notes of charcoal, black currants and sweet, jammy cherries, this substantial, delicious, silky textured Bordeaux Superieur should provide plenty of pleasure during its first 5-6 years of life. (drink 2012-2018) (90-92) points

2008 Lalande Borie (tasted twice): 11/4/2012 rated 88 points: Double decanted and served after about 30 minutes. Nice nose of casis, plums, and berries. Medium mouthfeel with soft round tanins, good acidity. Relatively short length. Look forward to trying another one in a year or so. Purchased this at around $28; so a relatively good buy.
edit... 11/13/2011 rated 88 points: Wine has considerable promise. Double decanted about 5 hours before serving. Initial nose of violets, touch of wood and maple. Initial flavors of violet and casis, full, but relatively soft round tanins, good acidity. good length. Will certainly be better in 2-3 years. Should last 10 years or so.

Similar to the le Conseiller is the Ampelia:
2008 Ampelia (two tastings): 7/2/2012 rated 88 points: Double decanted about 2 hours before serving. Plums and casis in the nose, full mouth feel, good length, slight alcohol and moderate tanin in the finish. Should continue to develop for a few years. Good value. Rated this a 90 two years ago, but not quite as impressed with this bottle. Hasn't quite come together yet. Still a very nice wine.
10/21/2010 rated 90 points: Dark color, nose of blackberries and plums, youthful, sweet pure fruit with mildly tannic and slightly alcoholic finish. Will be better in 3-5 years.

Even better the second day. Intense cassis, good acidity, soft tanins, lingering flavors.

One that is consistently good is Château D'Aiguilhe. Don't have any tasting notes from the 2008, but I do have a case of it to try.

-Ken
stefan

Post by stefan »

Nice notes, Ken. Did all of these come from Specs?

$30 for every weekday wine means $7500/year. If you drink nicer wine on the weekend, that's another $5000 if you cut corners. Add some for the occasional splurge and for building up a cellar, tack on the sales tax, and you are still well under $20K for the year. Pretty cheap hobby we have.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Stefan:

They were all from Specs. They just got in the 2010 Conseiller and I am going to ask them to hold me a case. The 2009 is still in CS, as is the 2008. They also have the 2009 Tour St. Bonnet and the 2008 Ampelia. The others are not available here, but may still be available at the Houston Smith street store.

They also have the 2001 La Veille Cure. Haven't tried it yet, but HWSRN gave it a 90 but suggested a short drinking window (2013). It is about $33.

I wish they had the 2009 Vieux Clos St. Emilion; that was a particularly good buy and I only got about 4 of them before they disappeared.

I agree about the cost of this hobby, at least it is the only one I have. I don't play golf or chase other women.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks, Ken.

I also don't play golf now as the university course is closed for a $7 million renovation, I hardly have time enough for one woman, and so far Lucie is happy enough with her 14 year old car, so I will continue to buy wine.
manton

Post by manton »

I find cheapies all the time in the NY area, under $15. It's sort of hard to keep track of what the are because availabilty is so varied. Maybe it's just because I like Bord but I am rarely unhappy. It's mostly good, or good enough.

Lescalle is a current favorite which I can get for just under $15.
RDD

Post by RDD »

I've been very pleased with these efforts from Von Neippeg:

2008 Chateau Clos Marsalette Pessac-Leognan and 2009 Chateau Soleil Promesse Puisseguin Saint Emilion

Both less than 20 US.
Last edited by RDD on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stefan

Post by stefan »

The problem around here with buying Bdx in the $15-20 range is that you have to try it immediately and buy cases right away if it is good or it's all gone. Historically most of the Bdx I have tried in that low to medium range is not very good, but lately, partly with advice from Ken, my experience has improved.
manton

Post by manton »

That's pretty much what I do: buy one, drink immediately, if OK, go back for all the rest.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll pass these names along. I'll also mine a few of the other threads as I seem to recall that some of us have given strong reviews to some other affordable bottles. Thx again folks.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I'd add/second these wines (many are the usual suspects):
Vieille Cure
Tour St Bonnet
Lanessan
Tour Haut Moulin
Bernadotte
Charmail
Puygueraud
Caronne Ste Gemme

In the cheap-in-USA-but-maybe-not-cheap-enough-North (I've been able to buy all of these wines for $30 or less with careful shopping online):
-Carbonnieux (both blanc and the rouge since 2003)
-Cantemerle
-Siran
-Grand Corbin Despagne