TN: Chateau Peyraud 2009

Chasse-Spleen

TN: Chateau Peyraud 2009

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Chateau Peyraud 2009 Blaye - Cotes de Bordeaux

Opaque purple. Currants, vanilla, asphalt on the nose. 13.5%. Fullish body - ok, it's full bodied. Very good finish at this level. Sweet tannins and good balance. Palate is similar to the nose with currants and a hint of liquorice. Nice texture. Very polished although maybe a bit specious, as Broadbent might say? No heat. A little on the modern side, a little commercial. There seems to be some oak, but it is very restrained. Mostly merlot, I'd assume, although there is a cali cab component that pokes through. A really nice bottle (I have "tried" it a good four or five times) especially at the price - $12. Does not scream Bordeaux, yet, it doesn't seem like a clumsy modern wine or overcooked, spoofilated monstrosity. It has a kind of unique style. Bordeaux but with a little Californication, if you will.

-Chasse
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Re: TN: Chateau Peyraud 2009

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

2009 is like shooting fish in a barrel when it comes to finding merely "good" wines. I tried a Bdx Superior last night and it was also very good, nicely ripe, fullish bodied, fine tannin and a structure cloaked in fruit. Lacking the treatment of a cru classe or even a sexed-up pretender, it seems very much in line with what you describe. With this kind of material, these wines could probably even age some. They are so easy to drink now though.

Now, one can quibble over the style of the vintage, and I do. But these are still enjoyable.
pomilion

Re: TN: Chateau Peyraud 2009

Post by pomilion »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:2009 is like shooting fish in a barrel when it comes to finding merely "good" wines... With this kind of material, these wines could probably even age some. They are so easy to drink now though... Now, one can quibble over the style of the vintage, and I do. But these are still enjoyable.
Couldn't agree more. Tried one I'd never heard of -- 2009 Chateau Arnauton Cuvee Grand Sol (Fronsac) -- the other night and it was delicious. Not massively complex, and certainly toward the modern end of the style spectrum, but unmistakably bordeaux and for $20 a total winner.