2010 Bordeaux Buying Plan?

Bacchus

Re: 2010 Bordeaux Buying Plan?

Post by Bacchus »

I think when experienced tasters like Tooch express their lack of tasting experience, it really is a sign of the degree to which this vintage is throwing people for a loop! I too will be taking a wait and see approach, and will not be pre-ordering anything. On her web page Jane Anson has expressed some concern about the levels of fruit in the vintage. After discussing the high tannin and acid levels she writes: "I haven't talked about the fruit - which is definitely there, although in the most disappointing wines it is hidden by the other elements, and those wines I feel sure will dry out before they ever reach their drinking window." I believe she wrote this after tasting in barrel, not bottle samples. Try before you buy seems to be the way to go.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

Perhaps for many Cru Bourgeois and the like... but from barrel, and from bottle, I saw no obvious lack of fruit in the top estates.

I really think there may be transport issues for some of these wines, or simply that after 4 months in bottle they are heading into a deep slumber.
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

Bacchus wrote:On her web page Jane Anson has expressed some concern about the levels of fruit in the vintage. After discussing the high tannin and acid levels she writes: "I haven't talked about the fruit - which is definitely there, although in the most disappointing wines it is hidden by the other elements, and those wines I feel sure will dry out before they ever reach their drinking window." I believe she wrote this after tasting in barrel, not bottle samples.
Agree with Jono -- although acid and tannin levels are high, there was no obvious lack of fruit in the better wines. Some of the lesser wines, yes, reminded me of '08 (as a vintage generally - with exceptions to be sure - under-fruited while quite tannic and acidic). But none of the wines I liked at the UGC tasting were under-fruited.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

pomilion wrote:
OrlandoRobert wrote:
Bacchus wrote:More very mixed results:
http://www.cellartracker.com/event.asp?iEvent=20411
Tooch is a solid taster. I follow him on Loire and Northern Rhone.

The only note that surprised me was Canon La Gaff and Poujeaux.

Helpful to have these counter-points.
Interesting cellartracker notes -- I agree with most of his assessments. CLG was one of my top three wines of the tasting, and I also loved Gruaud Larose, Leoville Barton and Pichon Baron, as did he. Also agree with his thoughts on Troplong Mondot and Lynch Bages -- both were a mess. The only two wines I got a very different impression of are Clinet and DdC Rouge. I somehow missed Poujeaux.
WOW...You gotta be kidding.... :o

Just checked Tooch's link and my notes that I posted in this thread...Amazing coincidence....I came to exact conclusions as he...The only difference I could see is that I liked Barton better than Gruaud....Other than that, the rest the same...What are the odds? :)