Wine Doctor goes pay for access

Bacchus

Wine Doctor goes pay for access

Post by Bacchus »

If you enjoy reading Chris Kissak's notes on Bordeaux and Loire wines, come March you'll have to pay for the pleasure.
http://www.thewinedoctor.com/blog/2013/ ... r-readers/
OrlandoRobert

Re: Wine Doctor goes pay for access

Post by OrlandoRobert »

IMHO, the best free content on Loire and Bordeaux. Chris does a wonderful job with his website. I am disappointed that it is going pay-per-view only, but purely out of selfish reasons. The value is there though his starting point is high. The tough part for us winos is that the best content sites eventually go pay. There are only so many each of us can realistically pay to support. In the last 5 years I have made a concerted effort to rely less and less on critics and publications, and wine lists that require annual minimums, and more and more on my own palate and my own research and tasting. Currently I pay for no subscriptions (I do donate to Berserkers) and am only a buyer on one list, and that's one winery I "rejoined" yesterday because they reformatted their program and its hard to go wrong with their wines in any year: Copain.

Wine Doctor is a site I would miss if I did not join so I will be having a discussion tonight with my other self that made the decision to back off critics' sites.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Love his writing, but won't pay for it. I wish him luck - genuinely, not being sarcastic, even though I won't be one of his paying subscribers.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Enjoyed the write-ups. Long on facts and easy on hype. Nice that he stops in here every so often. Good luck too.
chris kissack

Post by chris kissack »

Thanks for the kind words and wishes of good luck here - I'm very grateful. I especially like "Long on facts and easy on hype"! Any chance I could start using that as my tagline?! :D

Totally understand that some people won't be subscribing. It's not for everybody.

Thanks again.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Good luck Chris!

I think BWE needs to switch to a payment site.

We need to pay people to participate!
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Jim...that was good