TN: 2000 Chateau d'Aiguilhe - NOT CdP!!

HarryKaris

TN: 2000 Chateau d'Aiguilhe - NOT CdP!!

Post by HarryKaris »

Yes I drink other wines than just CdP's........

I remember this wine drinking right after release and at that time even with 6h decanting showed very closed and extremely oaky.

I must say everything softened and think the wine is very approachable now, even without decanting.
Very attractive strong cassis nose with some anise and vanilla in the background.
Medium+ bodied with good concentration, black currant, cedar, tobacco and Asian spices - not overtly intense but they are there. Oak is still a bit dominant in the finish with plenty of vanilla and a smoky layer but not disturbing.
Overall a very good wine that needs at least 5-10 more years......

B-Harry
ChrisW

Re: TN: 2000 Chateau d'Aiguilhe - NOT CdP!!

Post by ChrisW »

Harry,

I consumed this wine last week and it was pretty outstanding, particularly if one considers its price. I like d'Aiguilhe from most vintages starting with the 1999 vintage, except for the 2005 which I think is a bit over-ripe.

It is a modern wine in a pure style which I think is typical for Derenoncourt; a style which I can still appreciate very much.

Very different from the modern Rolland/Magrez monster Fombrauge 2002 which I also tasted recently. 15% alcohol and considerable sweetness from such a cloudy, rainy and cold year: how much sugar can they add and still call it wine? The fruit has gone and all that remained was oak smell, oak tannins, highly extracted tannins from the grapes, alcohol and sweetness.

ChrisW
JimHow

Re: TN: 2000 Chateau d'Aiguilhe - NOT CdP!!

Post by JimHow »

Great observations Harry and Chris. "Modern" is a relative term for Bordeaux. We had that modern 1998 Pavie Decesse amongst about twenty other Italians, Rhones, Spanish, Burgundy wines on Friday night in DC, and it was beautiful, and distinctly Bordeaux amongst all the other great wines!