TN: 2004 Château Lascombes (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux)

DavidG

TN: 2004 Château Lascombes (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux)

Post by DavidG »

Another young Bordeaux tonight, not showing as Bordeaux-y as last week's wines, but I have hope that that will change with more time in the cellar.
  • 2004 Château Lascombes - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (5/27/2013)
    Temp controlled storage since release, perfect fill and cork. Pop and pou, consumed over 2 hours. Purple core, minimal lightening at rim. Dark fruits, berries, hints of smoke and flowers on the nose. Medium body, good balance, ripe fruit and fairly mellow tannins on the palate. No real "Margauxberries" or complexity yet but drinking nicely. Medium finish. Actually tightens up a bit after an hour. Likely to improve. Very good to excellent.
pomilion

Re: TN: 2004 Château Lascombes (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux)

Post by pomilion »

I've had terrific luck with this wine. Bought a boatload (3.5 cases) when one of the more prominent west-coast wine shops blew it out for $29.99/bottle a few years ago. Perhaps, as you say, not mind-blowing or shouting Margaux typicity, but a very nice wine, unmistakably bordeaux if not quintessential Margaux. Nice wine, looking forward to many more. I think it will improve a bit in a few years.
DavidG

Re: TN: 2004 Château Lascombes

Post by DavidG »

Agree - modern Bordeaux but still Bordeaux, not something that would be confused with a California wine. I'm waiting a few years to open the next one as I think it's still on the upswing.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Haha, I loaded up on 3 cases of the 2004 at the same K&L sale that you did! No buyers remorse here ;)
jckba

Post by jckba »

And while some may certainly complain it is too modern in style, compared to the 05 it is an absolute classic. Lets also not forget that it was the runaway winner from an assortment of other top wines from the 2004 vintage at an EWS event several years back.

www.erobertparker.com/members/ews/ews142.asp
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Yes I remember that that EWS tasting raised quite a ruckus among those who felt it was too modern to deserve such accolades, at least for a "traditional" palate. Then again, the complainers weren't present at the (blind) EWS tasting.

I think this is a wine that drinks well young and shows some modern influences, but also one that will turn more Bordeaux-like over time. Will it some day scream Margaux? I don't know but it doesn't have to in order to be enjoyable and a good deal even at the $35 I paid for it.