Seeking Napa Valley recommendations

JimHow

Seeking Napa Valley recommendations

Post by JimHow »

A lawyer friend of mine is in Napa right now, does anyone have recommendations of wineries to visit tomorrow?
Thanks.
RDD

Re: Seeking Napa Valley recommendations

Post by RDD »

For history Mondavi and BV (just to see the huge redwood tanks).
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

Other classic places to visit include Montelena and Shafer. Napa isn't my favorite place to visit w/out appointments - on a walk-in basis, they're all a bit corporate and impersonal compared to most other wine regions in the States or elsewhere.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

With no appointments, I would recommend

- Viansa in Sonoma for italian varietal wines. Very scenic and good market place for eatery. Lunch time is good...It is also close when coming on 101
- On Silverado trail, you can do Clos du Val, Regusci and Stag's Leap Cellar as walk-ins...If interested in bubbly one can visit Mumm
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

I agree, its hard to find good ones that are walk-in available. Appointments are the rule now.

Sonoma is a bit easier than Napa in that regard.

Domaine Carneros isn't bad for Champagne. Pretty views. Silverado trail has ZD, Reynolds, Pine Ridge. I gave the BD some others directly.

Michael-P
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the recs, good to talk to you and Nalan, michaelP!
stefan

Post by stefan »

The restaurant at Domaine Chandon is very good. If you join the club you are sure to get a table and a discount as well. Their higher end sparklers are OK even for those who drink only Champagne if the wine is not mixed with orange juice (I have Lucie in mind).
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Domaine Carneros is a nice start to Napa. Sip a glass of sparkler on their patio (the rose used to be only available there) if it's nice weather. We were there for crush one year and that was fun. Tour is good as well. Conn Creek is another walk in that we liked. We bought a case at a good price that aged nicely. The Togni tour was outstanding and the man himself was there to answer questions when we visited. You do have to call ahead but well worth it. In fact, Spring Mountain has a bunch of good wineries such as Barnett which has a spectacular view of the valley and they are fine with bringing a picnic as there are picnic tables. Again, call ahead. You can buy a bottle to have with lunch. Hard to beat on a nice day.