A little 06 Chateauneuf better than a 05 Pomerol

Nicklasss

A little 06 Chateauneuf better than a 05 Pomerol

Post by Nicklasss »

This weekend, 3 bottles opened with friends, for a dinner with steaks on the grill. None of the wines decanted.

2005 Chateau La Croix du Casse : Dark color. Nose is full of oak, with the vanilla, milk and dark chocolate aromas, grilled burned wood. Some dark berries too but under the ton of oak. In mouth, well you guess it is oaky, same flavors that on the nose. There are some dark roasted coffee bean flavors, some dark berries. Concentrated feeling but seem out of balance. Final is on bitter rough oak. Well, nothing near my conception of great Bordeaux. Good but don't know how it will age? TN : 83-84.

2006 Chateauneuf-du-Pape Albert Bichot : Kind of light style Chateauneuf, but not out of interests. Clear pale red color. Nose is refined with light rasberries, kirsch, herbs and light roasted grape berries. In mouth, elegance is there, on the medium concentration ripe strawberries and rasberries flavors. Bit of vanilla, light roasted note, final on a light warm (14.6 % alcohol) kirsch cherries. Medium lenght. I preferred that to the Pomerol. really drinkable. TN : 88.

2006 Mitolo The Jester : An Australian from the Mc Laren. Dark red color. Nose is fresh with all kind of red/dark berries, smoke and plums. Not complex but really appealing. In mouth, this is medium concentration, good core of dark berries, rasberries, spices (pepper) and a medium smooth tannic finish on leather, dirt and more ripe red berries. I like that. TN : 89.

I was supposed to buy 3 bottles of Croix du Casse, but at the last minute, I bought just one. I'm happy with my decision. I really preferred the 2005 Chateau Brown to that Pomerol, and it is 12 $ less/bottle. Blind, i would never say that the Croix du Casse is a Pomerol. So far away from the claret conception. And yes, this is probably a wine that will never fit my taste.

Nic
Otto Nieminen

Re: A little 06 Chateauneuf better than a 05 Pomerol

Post by Otto Nieminen »

I had no idea that Albert Bichot made CdP as well! I have very much enjoyed their Grand Cru Moutonne Chablis in the few years I have tried it. Their other Burgundies have been variable, but sometimes very enjoyable. Do they make other Rhones than the CdP? And do they make it regularly or was this a one-off?
Previously known as Geshtin.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

I worked for the Bordeaux branch of Bichot which they later sold to Rémy Martin (long story).

Bichot is a huge firm with domaines (Long Depaquit, Clos Frantin) and plenty of sous-marques.

Equating Bichot Châteauneuf-du-Pape with Chablis Moutonne is like equating Mouton Cadet with Le Chambertin!
However, I'm glad to see that this négociant wine did honorably.

Best regards,
Alex R.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I wouldn't have thought Mitolo would be to your style. Lots of new world overextraction with big fruit and oak in the few that I've had. Haven't had the Jester but am told the stable of wines from Mitolo are quite similar. Maybe I was mislead?

Danny
Danny
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

I haven't tried it but I am a little surprised by the low rating on the 2005 La Croix du Casse. I have been a big fan of this property for some time - the 1998 La Croix du Casse is an outsanding wine that is drinking very well now (about 91 points on my card).

Chris Bublitz
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I have the 95 and 2000 La Croix du Casse. It's probably known to all here, the proprietor who got Parker's attention was killed in a car or boat accident in 2001. So that might explain the quality/style difference.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Nice notes. I want to try this "Jester" wine.
Attachments
jester_lute.jpg
jester_lute.jpg (125.74 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

For the 05 Croix du Casse, I would probably say that ''it is not my style'' instead of a bad wine. The high concentration and/or high oak is not what I'm looking for. If I want to compare that wine with something from the same AOC/price, let say that I much preffered the 00 Chateau Gombaude-Guillot. This is more Pomerol to me.

For the Bichot CdP, I thought it was a really nice effort, knowing that it is not that negociant specialty wine. Simple, but still way better and drinkable to me than the Pomerol.

For the 06 Mitolo Jester, this is their entry wine so probably less concentrated than other top/expensive bottles produced by that producer. Bizarely, I would not call that wine ''typical'' australian, as it do not seem overconcentrated to me. The 05 was really good too. I had the same experience with the St-Hallett Blackwell Shiraz, that I preferred to their Old Block (too concentrated for me). If it is available in Ottawa are, please try it Danny and we can discuss about it.

nic
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Maybe the 05 Croix du Casse was just totally closed, like many '05s at this point, although I'm sure you know what you like, Nic.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Chris, how did you shop your face into that painting? You should be in graphic arts.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I never noticed any resemblance, Hound, although I knew you would see the humor in it. He looks to have gotten ahold of a bit of grog, or perhaps a good refreshing ale. I don't know what they were drinking at court in Holland in the days of Frans Hals, though he painted many pictures of beer drinkers and of course, the Dutch excel at brewing. It's one of my favorite paintings, for obvious reasons - Jester With A Lute. Sometimes I think about this guy when I'm trying to remember to look at the bright side.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

For me, I can see some similarities between that painting, and Jimhow or Tom in DC playing guitar...

What is important is the ''red wine'' cheeks...

Nic
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nic,

I see the LCBO has both the Shiraz and Cab Sauv Jester. Which were you drinking? In the name of science I'll happily pick up a bottle since it meets my under $30 everyday drinking criteria.

Danny
Danny
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Hi Danny,

it was the Shiraz. I rarely buy Cabernet Sauvignon from Australia, as I know another region that produce better Cabernet...

For Shiraz or Syrah, it is a grape I identify to Northern Rhône and Australia, and I prefer the first one. But, there are no doubts that Australia wines are a success intrnationally because, well made wine, at a low price sometimes and distributed everywhere. If I want to find a good Croze-Hermitage or St-Joseph at 20-25 $ here, it is almost impossible. And even here in Québec, people like Australian Shiraz for the ripeness, the smooth character and their prices. So, when you need a crowd pleaser, australia wines are a logic choice. That Mitolo The Jester is a good crowd pleaser, and at the same time, not too concentrated or oaky and with little complexity, so makes it interesting for me as well. But of course, i don't buy that much Australian wines.

Another cheap Australian Shiraz i found interesting in the last year was the 05 Kilikanon The Lackey Shiraz South Australia. more spices than on the Mitolo Jester.

I'll be looking forward your impression on the jester.

Nic