Question for Rick re Numanthia

JimHow

Question for Rick re Numanthia

Post by JimHow »

Rick that was the 2004 you brought to DC '09, right?
I see it listed in magnum format at Zachy's, is this the same wine?

Numanthia 2004 (1.5L) Limited Qty Available 98 WA
"Any aspiring collectors should add a case of this to their stash. The 2004 Numanthia comes from a different terroir with a different clone of Tinta de Toro. The vines for this cuvee range from 70-100 years of age with tiny yields of 1 ton of fruit per acre. The wine undergoes malolactic fermentation in barrel followed by 19 months in new French oak before being bottled unfined and unfiltered. The wine is a glass-coating opaque purple with a killer nose of mineral, pencil lead, wild blueberry, and blackberry liqueur that roars from the glass. On the palate the wine is full-bodied, dense, and already beginning to show complexity within its layers of spicy black fruits. There is immense power, well-concealed ripe tannin, and the well-delineated finish lasts for over one minute. This is a sensational effort which in a perfect world should be cellared for a decade and enjoyed over the following 25+ years. However, the elderly among us should not feel guilty about opening a bottle now...98." WA 2/07
Product #: 140968

Regular Bottle: $175.00
Regular Case: $995.00
DavidG

Re: Question for Rick re Numanthia

Post by DavidG »

That was good stuff. Didn't realize it was that pricy.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I can taste the "wild blueberry and blackberry liqueur roaring from the glass" now!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

You're right on Jim, as Blueberry pie was pouring out of this thing when we drank it twice this winter in Florida.100% Tinto de Toro a Temparanillo clone.Highly touted by the Spectator and Parker. Paid $49 per less 10% for case discount in Florida and thought it was a good deal for the 2004. With a rating of 98 pts I think this is becoming the Pontet Canet of Spain experiencing a meterioc rise in price as people discover this wine that first came in to being in 1998. It's baby brother Termes goes for less than half the price and is still pretty good and more available.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sounds like $175 for a mag is a bit pricey, eh?
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Almost double what the 750ml bottles were going for Jim!
Danny
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The Numanthia was great, but nothing near the 98 rating of the WA. Especially if I compare it with some wines from Saturday...

But 175 $ for a magnum seem a bit pricy, as you can get the 05 here for 65 CAN$ a bottle (I think I should get some...). Bodegas Numanthia also produce a wine called Termanthia, at 223 CAN$/bottle.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes but '04 is THE YEAR in Spain, is it not?

I think Pappa Doc needs to recommend a fifty dollar decrease in the price....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The mag is down to $131 in today's Zachy's sale, that's a bit more in the ballpark, wouldn't you say?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well, I just ordered a mag at $131 from Zachy's with free shipping.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Jim

I am sorry I have not checked the site in a week

Good buy - that mag will last until you are quite old

Yes it was the 04...............I think the 04 is better than 05

I have had this numerous times it was great on release and has gone into a phase that requires some time in the decanter now.

The little bother Termes is quite nice too - the 06 is available now - I am waiting for a sale on the Termes
the big bother Termanthia is just fabulous ......after having it at a dinner I bought a two pack of the 05

We will need to open one day

Rick
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I recall drinking an '04 and an '05 of something called Les Terrasses or something like that, and I liked the '04 much better.
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

Jim that was the Priorat Palacios, they make Ermite which goes for $600.00 the Les Terrasses 04 is better than the 05. Both were on closeout sale for $25 and $27 from $45. You needed to open the 04 at least two hours or better yet open, decant 1 hour , put back in the btl and drink the next day. Outstanding! Too bad I sold the last btl of the 05 yesterday, the 04 was sold out last month.

I wish I could influence pricing, what most people don't understand about pricing is source and time of buying.

Zachys sold the 2004 Du Tertre (the best Du Tertre ever made- I tried it with the 1979, 2000, 2004, and 2005). Zachys like most large stores buys from different sources and the prices can be dramatically different. they 04 Du Tertre sold for a low at $28 or $29. They bought it again because it sold so well and they paid TWICE as much as the first buy. I couldn't belive it but the buyer showed me both bills of laden.

Another point is in the case of Pontet Canet 2005, the Chateau put a maximum to what they would sell. That was the first time that Zachys put a "One case per Customer" on the sale of Pre-Arrival Bordeaux.

They are aware that 2005 Carruades is at a extremely high price, but again the buyer showed me the purchase price, an it was crazy high. They weren't happy buying it but were pressured by inquires to obtain it.

State stores are restricted by what they can charge and wine lovers that are within driving range can take advantige of that. Steve H got me a couple of btls of Jadot 2002 Meursault "Genny" for $35 a btl. I liked the wine soo much I bought two more for $65 plus shipping. Did I overpay, no, it's just that Steve and you got near wholesale prices or sometimes less. If I had a "windfall lump of cash" I'd go to NH, I went on the website and saw some tempting deals.

My employee discount is 25% off the reg btl price. This means I paid the same price as everyone these past four days. It just forces me to spend more than I want because certain "Hot Wines" will sell out.

I spent two paychecks when Zachys ran a 25% off sale on Red Burgundies because I knew all the wines that I wanted were one to 5 cases in stock, some were less than 4 btls left, like Jacky Truchots. Many weren't offered anywhere else on Wine Searcher at any price or below what I or any customer paid.

I'm done buying any wine over $20 with the exception of a purchase for a BWE Off Line Dinner. I have enough Red & White Burgs to last me a while, and there are more and more wines under $20 that are quite good.

The best thing to do is check Wine Searcher Pro Version to find the best possible price. It's what I've done for the past 7+ years.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Pappa

Famous last words. I too have sworn off buying anything but everyday drinking wine. In Canada I put it under $30 for red and $20 for white. Have been pretty good but when something that I like comes along like the last case of Calera Pinot Ryan/Mills 04 at $53 in Ontario comes along it gets the exeption. Les Terrases 06 here went on sale in January for $29.95 and had to grab a case.2006 Chartron Rully Montmorin (White Burg) was cut to $19.95 squeezing under the mark and grabbed 2 cases. It's a lovely sipping wine and great with dinner.

I don't need any more wine and could happily drink through my cellar without buying another bottle for at least a decade but what fun would that be without looking for the next rising star. The only problem with the internet though is that as soon as a discovery is made the whole world finds out in hyperspeed. Look what happened to Pontet Canet. JimH/BWE spoiled it for everyone!

Danny
Danny
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Thanks for the insight from the retailer side, Pappa. Pricing has been crazy the last few years, and I suspect it may be crazy in the other direction over the next few years. Like Danny, I am not buying much these days, but I find it tough to detach from the excitement associated with the next vintage or the next new thing.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice words Pappadoc.

I thought about you in the last convention, when I bought a 05 Puligny-montrachet Village from Carillon.

Did not open your gifts yet.

And me too I'm looking for cheaper wines lately, and less concentration, wines that are enjoyable to drink. I felt in love with the 2004 Chateau Rochemorin white so bought a few 05 for 24 $.

From Bodegas Nurmanthia, only the 05 Nurmanthia (65 $) and the 05 Termanthia (223 $) are available in Québec.

Nic
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

I just tasted a Vin de Pays form the South of France that costs $8.50 on sale. I'm going to buy a btl on fri and give it a try with food this weekend. 70% Grenache, 20% Syrah, and 10% of a grape I've never heard of. It tastes more like cherrys than any wine I've ever had. I'll get back with the name and such this weekend.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I missed out on the Numanthia they didn't have any more in stock. :cry: Ah well, so it goes.