Some quick TN and mission accomplish

Nicklasss

Some quick TN and mission accomplish

Post by Nicklasss »

Since I'm back home, from the 09 DC convention, I have been so busy at work, with the baby, and so tire, that i barely read BWE once a week... Very bad for my health (physical and mental). But I'm still drinking nice wines. Quick comments on bottles opened in the last few weeks.

2005 Puligny-Monrachet Louis Carillon : Well, the perfect village white. Everything in balance, pure, limestome, flowers, nice honey, light oak, mineral, and bottle emptied in three days and the wine did not lost any qualities. Impressive. TN : 91-92+.

2004 St-Hallett Blackwell Shiraz : Normally an Aussie I like. This time, I found it too oaky and charcoal. After many minutes, became a little bit more civilized but never gain elegance. TN : 85.

2005 Domaine Rabasse Charavin : A Côtes-de-Rhône Rasteau, with a good proportion of Mourvèdre. Thick, oily, lots of ripe red and dark berries, thyme, kirsch. Smooth and dense. I liked it. TN : 89.

2006 Pinot Blanc Trimbach : Cheap but really good. Flowery, lightly bitter, thick, apple and good core. After an hour, start to loose qualities TN : 87.

2007 Pelissero Dolcetto d'Alba : Modern, juicy, thick concentrated cherries, nice oak, internationnal and less italian than what I thought. Good anyhow. TN : 86.

2005 Mâcon-something Domaine Valette : Well, I think this need time. Everything is there, but restrained. Light oxyxized notes. Concentrated mineral. Fruit under. This should be better, even now. TN : 86?

Finally, I went to Québec City last weekend, and found some 1998 Chateau de Beaucastel. Of course, I bought few bottles. I'm happy with that, after tasting it in DC. I also bought some 2007 Mâcon-Pierreclos from Guyens Heynen. Never tried that ''glorious'' producer.

Ah yes, I knew I was missing something. I bought a lonely bottle of the 2007 Rosé de Malartic Lagravière. I thought it was a really good rosé, with more nuances and body than other rosé. Nose of light strawberries, onion peel, ripe rasberries, herbs and bit of smoke. Fresh, good body, concentrated and kind of medium long. A nice quaffer. TN : 87. Bordeaux will always impress me...

Nic
PappaDoc

Re: Some quick TN and mission accomplish

Post by PappaDoc »

Nick,

I think you may have the spelling wrong, is it Guffens Heynen ? If it is they are the Burgundy Producer Verget. They use the family name for Macon wines and wines they make further South. I believe they are from Belgium.

Send love to your Family, perhaps I could make the trip up North if you organise a dinner in Quebec next year.

John
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I recently tried some rose made by... Pavie! It was damned good.
-Chris
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

you're right Chasse-Spleen. After that bottle of rosé from Malartic-Lagravière, I really thought ''how come i did not buy more...''.

You're right Pappadoc, it is Guffens Heynen. For some BWE wine dinner in Québec, I'll start slowly to check which good/great restaurant could accomodate us as normally, you can't bring wines in restaurants that sell wines. You need to go to ''bring-your-own-wine'' restaurants, but sometimes these are not very consistant.

Nic