La Lagune's New "Hermitaged" Wine

Tom In DC

La Lagune's New "Hermitaged" Wine

Post by Tom In DC »

A new release -- 2010 Evidence -- from La Lagune and Paul Jaboulet. I'd like to try it but I expect it will be pricey.

Chateau Palmer's version goes for US$200++ and cellartracker reviews aren't suggesting much value.
jckba

Re: La Lagune's New "Hermitaged" Wine

Post by jckba »

While the article doesn't appear to mention an anticipated price, they do mention that the fruit used will be from La Lagune's second wine, Le Moulin de Lagune and from Jaboulet's Domaine de Thalaberts Croze Hermitage vineyards and as such I wouldn't expect that this offering will be all that pricey but I guess until there is a price we can only speculate.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

The article seems to suggest that its around 30 euros... The initial interest among consumers seems like "just would like to try" camp. But not sure if the blend will sustain the same initial demand...
jckba

Post by jckba »

Ha I missed the following sentence "There are 10,000 bottles of the inaugural vintage, which will sell for 30 euros a bottle in wine stores in France." and so with 10,000 bottles of the 2010 or under 1,000 cases, I can certainly see availability being an issue especially if there is none for export ...
Carlos Delpin

Post by Carlos Delpin »

And the objective of this exercise is...?
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Carlos Delpin wrote:And the objective of this exercise is...?
May be synergies my friend, synergies... :P

Trying to make 2+2 = 5... Probably second wine of Lalagune and the C-Heritage sell for less than 30 euros individually. Now mix it up and walla, you get atleast 30 euros!!! :lol:
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Just wondering what the love child of a finesse-oriented chateau's second and a whatchamacallit might look like. Besides the marketing/money angle, would there really be serious interest from connoisseurs? Well I guess that question has been answered by fact of this thread. Really?
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Tom,

Thanks for sharing that.

For info, the percentage of Hermitage in the Palmer is far less, something like 10 or maximum 15%.
I have a bottle of the 2004 in my cellar. Friends who have tried the wine say that the Syrah influence is only very slight.

I think that the La Lagune effort is more logical in that the same family owns vineyards in both régions.

The fact that the wines come from Haut-Médoc (and not Margaux) and Crozes-Hermitage (and not Hermitage) is significant.
Those appellations are significantly less expensive than their famous neighbors.

At 30 euros a pop, I would probably buy a bottle out of curiosity.

Best regards,
Alex R.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I like Jaboulet and love La Lagune, but this blend is an easy pass for me as I have never had a 50-50 Syrah/Cabernet blend that I could stomach.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

CV's "2+2=5" comment rings true to me. I figured 30 euro at the cellar is probably $100 on the street in the US. Might still try one or two, but nobody's gonna think this is a value.
Carlos Delpin

Post by Carlos Delpin »

Since this is an assemblage of two finished wines we can try this doing this at home! I'll report back results...
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

We winos have long mixed different wines together but results can be mixed and I have a feeling the outcome here will be the same.