Two 05 Bordeaux, unexpected results

Nicklasss

Two 05 Bordeaux, unexpected results

Post by Nicklasss »

Quick TN from the wines opened this weekend.

2006 Isole E olena Chianti Classico : Even if the vintage 06 is rated better, I preferred the 05 of that wine. The 06 was a bit unidimensionnal. Nice cherries and dark spices, but not really exprensive in mouth. Hum? TN : 85.

2006 Trimback Gewurtaminer : Well ,this is good. Not a big or sweet Gewurz. A refined style, yes perfumy nose (litchis, apricots, flowers, melon) but a decent elegant mouth. Light bitter dry finish. Well, if you like dry wine from Alsace (I mean no residual sugar), go with Trimbach. TN : 88+.

2005 Chateau Pas de l'Âne St-Émilion Grand Cru : I think Derenoncourt is consulting for that wine. This is the real joke of 2005. So concentrated and oaky that you wonder what the f**k some producer are wasting so high quality raw material. There is no merlot or Cab Franc there, only ashes and charcoal aromas and flavors. Yes, there are some overconcentrated dark berries behind, but who cares? Wine is supposed to please you, have a good time, fun. not that one. TN : 78.

2005 Chateau Moulin de Clotte Côtes-de-Castillon : Since 10 years, that AOC is supposely one that improved the most. This is a 16 $ bottle of wine. But a really good one. Medium conentrated red and dark berries, claret definition of earth and mineral. Not really concentrated by pleasing you by the genuine character. And, dare I say, light oak notes. Thick fruit in mouth, soft abundant tannins. Ripe. Good. TN : 88+. An AOC to explore. i should buy other cheap Chateaux from that AOC. And they will keep for 10 years easily.

Nic
stefan

Re: Two 05 Bordeaux, unexpected results

Post by stefan »

Nic, it does seem that the Côtes-de-Castillon wines have improved considerably this millennium. With the consumer move away from Bdx wines, the prices have not risen commensurately with the quality.

stefan