Week-end des Grands Amateurs in Bordeaux - May 16 + 17

AlexR

Week-end des Grands Amateurs in Bordeaux - May 16 + 17

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

For the 4th time, the Union des Grands Crus organized this marathon tasting event in Hangar 14 in Bordeaux, overlooking the Garonne.

http://www.wga-ugcb.com/

From 10 am to 5 pm, the owners or representatives of nearly 100 "grands crus" (not just great growths, but mostly) were there, pouring 2 vintages:

- the 2006
- another vintage of their choice from the previous decade

This was an amazing opportunity to meet people and taste more wines than you can shake a stick at!

Entrance fee was 55 euros, but the choice of wines was simply amazing - practically the full membership of the Union des Grands Crus!

Upon arrival, one is given:
- a Riedel glass
- A tasting notebook and pencil
- A guide to all the châteaux

There were about 1,200 to 1,300 people throughout the day, including a sizeable foreign contingent.

Only sandwiches were served, at 6 euros, but you could drink all you wanted of 2000 Léoville Poyferré or 2000 Lagrange free of charge in the restaurant area to go with it!

I met a Londoner who had "just got into wine" - and had bought a hundered cases of 2005 great growths. I should be so lucky!

Anyway, the Weekend also includes a golf tournament, château visits on Sunday (a rarity in Bordeaux), and a meal at a great growth château on the Saturday night if you wish.

Bordeaux has a reptuation for being very elitist, but events such as this go a long way towards reconciling consumers with the great estates.

The wines? It's hard to know where to begin, and I arrived after lunch, so could only spend a little less than 3 hours there.

I fell in love with the 2006 La Lagune, Canon La Gaffelière, Troplong Mondot, and many of the usual suspects.

I thought I would post because I think the Week-End des Grands Amateurs is a great occasion to taste the cream of Bordeaux in the region of production and meet the people who make the wines.

Best regards,
Alex R.
DavidG

Re: Week-end des Grands Amateurs in Bordeaux - May 16 + 17

Post by DavidG »

Sounds like an awesome event, Alex. Maybe something to plan a trip around. You say there were 1,200 to 1,300 people attending and about 100 wineries exhibiting. Was it very crowded, and was it reasonably easy to get a pour and have a few words with the Chateau representatives? Have you ever been to any of the dinners or the soiree later in the evening, or any of the Sunday activities?
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

David,

I hope Chris chimes in here because his impressions are probably more worthwhile.

As to your questions:

The room is huge, but even so it can bunch up a little in front of the most sought after châteaux. Still, the wait is llimited and you have no difficulty talking to château owners/winemakers.

Chris and his wife went to dinner at Canon La Gaffelière (where you went to, I believe) and enjoyed it throughly.
A whole range of wines is served, not just the wines of the estate. And at least one other château owner is there too.

The Sunday activities as far as I can tell are sort of VIP tours of wine châteaux.

All the best,
Alex
stefan

Post by stefan »

Sounds like a great event, Alex. Maybe I can arrange time in France to make this some time.

I have mixed feelings about the world discovering La Lagune. It can no longer hide behind its humble Haut-Medoc appellation.

stefan