TN: 01 Filhot [Sauternes]

AKR

TN: 01 Filhot [Sauternes]

Post by AKR »

01 Filhot [Sauternes] From a split, served chilled, over a few days. 14% abv. Light yellow, doesn't look its age, compared to some other 01s that are developing golden hues. The nose showed pear, and other white fruits. On the palate its lost its youthful verve, and depending on how one likes dessert wines, I think its heading downwards especially in smaller formats. FWIW, these were purchased EP in this size and kept in my cold cellar, so historical comparisons are against the same provenance cohort. The palate tails off near the end of a 20 second finish, getting flabby. It's not an overwhelmingly sweet 01 like Climens. I liked this better in its youth. Still it was a very good Filhot for a decade or longer, although to my tastes, their atypical thick, honeyed 1990* was the best, especially around age 10-15. I'll be drinking the rest of these before other, richer 01's. B grade, but was better younger.

* 1990 also saw a Tete du Cuvee / Creme de Tete bottling, which is an even darker bronze in color. Way back when, on the old BWE board, I posted pics of both of the 1990 bottlings to show the coloration differences.
AlexR

Re: TN: 01 Filhot [Sauternes]

Post by AlexR »

Arv,

You're on a roll man - great to see you back!

I very much agree about the 01 Filhot.

I bought several bottles on sale, and it was more a wine I brought out for people impressed by labels than ones who knew their stuff.

The 90 Tête de Cuvée was simply wonderful a few years back.
It has probably stood the test of time as well.

All the best,
Alex R.
tim

Post by tim »

Stefan brought the 90 Tete de Cuvee for dinner with me and Francois et al when stefan visited paris a couple months ago. It was powerful and elegant, and more than stood up to the other wines we had that night.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Good to hear from you, Arv

I still have one bottle of the 1990 Filhot Creme de Tete - I will be sure to save it for a BWE event

SF Ed