TN:00 Villa Bel Air 'rouge' [Graves]

AKR

TN:00 Villa Bel Air 'rouge' [Graves]

Post by AKR »

00 Villa Bel Air 'rouge' [Graves] Somehow this had eluded its appointment in Samarra all those years ago, and only got consumed yesterday and today. 65F when served. Purchased for an $8 song either on release or before, and hidden away since then. The color is pretty good, a light red, but a hint of bricking at the rims. 13% abv on the lablel. I compared it to another open 2000 at the same time and that was far more evolved, even displaying tertiary notes. A little smoke and red fruit on the nose, but not an overwhelming bouquet. Palate is quite nice, it doesn't taste over the hill or anything, and is balanced between fruit and acid. The tannins are well resolved, and there is very little sediment. It's better on the first night than the second. The littler wines of Bordeaux, although 'designed' to be consumed early, can age better than one would think in strong vintages. It's gets a B. I don't know if I would feel good/bad if I discovered more such escapees from the drinking queue! I don't think I've had this in latter years, but I do seem to remember at least seeing it in the marketplace over the years. And although I mentioned it was a red, I just did that out of convention for Graves -- I don't know if they actually make a white or not.
AlexR

Re: TN:00 Villa Bel Air 'rouge' [Graves]

Post by AlexR »

This is a J-M Cazes wine.

I've had the white and the red on numerous occasions, and prefer the red (more character).

It is the kind of Bordeaux I prefer when it is young, fruity, and vigorous.

Alex R.
AKR

Re: TN:00 Villa Bel Air 'rouge' [Graves]

Post by AKR »

Yes I think I drank up mine within a couple of years of release. They were great.

This was a bit of an 'oops baby' find that had gotten put into the wrong box.